Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2010 V6, KeyFOB loses link

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 PM
NyghtSpydr

Angry 2010 V6, KeyFOB loses link

I bought a 2010 V6 Mustang that came with one key, the type that has the FOB built in to the base of the key, but it was extremely scratched up so I decided to buy a pair of brand new FOBs off eBay from a very reputable seller. The instructions say to insert the key into the car and go from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the last time being in RUN, then the doors will lock and the car is in Programming Mode...then you press a button to "link" the FOB with the car.

I have done this successfully, however the FOB keeps losing its "link" with the car and I am forced to reprogram it again.
I have had to do this 5 times already, and just today it did it again, but now I can't get the car into Program Mode.
It's not a battery thing with the car or the FOB, because I usually can easily reprogram the FOB and I'm good for another 2 weeks. The battery on the car is new and not corroded and I can easily start the car.
The FOB is brand new as well.

Has anyone had this problem before?? If so, what did you do to fix it? I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 AM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

I thought you needed two working keys in order to program new ones? (could be wrong).

I don't know much about fobs. Check with a dealer?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:41 PM
NyghtSpydr

Originally Posted by BKamp613
I thought you needed two working keys in order to program new ones? (could be wrong).

I don't know much about fobs. Check with a dealer?
I am not aware of needing two keys, never heard of that. I have seen multiple websites that say you just need one key and do the 8 time accessory mode thing I mentioned earlier, and that is how to program a FOB.

I will never have a dealership program my FOB because they change $200-$400 for the FOB and to do this "Program Mode" I mentioned earlier...according to a few websites I checked, this is one of the biggest rip offs that dealerships make a load of money on.
(Now I say that, but I am still having issues, I am pretty sure it is something else causing my issue)

**UPDATE** I figured out why I couldn't get the car in Programming Mode...I have to have the doors of the car UNLOCKED before turning the key 8 times, make sure last time the key stops in the RUN position...then it will enter Programming Mode. I have successfully re-programmed my FOB yet again, but I still wonder why it keeps losing it's Link with the car.

Still looking for some information please!