Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Line Lock on V6 w/o ABS

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Question Line Lock on V6 w/o ABS

What have y'all done for line locks on a V6?

There's a single line from the master cylinder going down to a junction fitting inside the driver-side wheel well. I was planning on putting a single solenoid there, between the main feed line and the junction box/splitter.

I'm looking at getting a Jegs 555-63000 solenoid and their installation kit 555-63005. I have a brake line bender and can bend whatever lines I need. I'm aware of the PMP hose kit but already have the Jegs kit from another project that I'd like to use.

In terms of fittings, will the above installation kit work on the stock fittings, or are they some metric size that requires special fittings?

Any pics of what you have?

I'm not concerned with the wiring part yet, but have some ideas on what switch to use or where to mount one if I don't use one of the existing stock switches.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

PMP has a kit on sale for $40.50 if you're interested, not sure if you already have the parts or not. I'm sure it comes with instructions. They say to use the Jegs solenoid.

Last edited by basketballord; 02-04-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Thanks; I'm aware of PMP kit, and I would get it if I didnt already have the other lines.
Their kits uses Jegs solenoids (which you have to buy separately), and that's what I'll be using, too.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:37 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Just to update this thread...I got the Jegs solenoid installed, but had to use 2 metric fittings. I ended up replacing the front stock brake line between the master cylinder and splittler (located in the driver-side wheel well). Both ends require metric fittings, and I happened to have what I needed to convert each end to SAE 3/16". That's where the Jegs kit came in handy. I located the solenoid inside the frame instaead of the usual wheel well location, and made and ran lines to/from the solenoid.

FWIW, the PMP kit would have been easier I'm sure, but I did get to mount the solenoid in a dry location, which I preferred. Not having the proper metric fittings, the only other option would have been to cut and flare the stock line on both sides of the cut and use 3/16" nuts on them (some people have done it that way).

I have some pics but they are not uploaded yet, so [this post is useless without pics] .
Old 02-09-2009, 08:09 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Although this may be a little after the fact, here's a write-up I did on the installation of dual-solenoid line locks on my old PP coupe (which may help others considering this mod) -

How To Install Install Dual-Solenoid Line Locks

One change I would do-over would be to place the switch in the upper right corner of the headlight switch, rather than the overhead console. It was a great mod for warming up the DR's at the track.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Cool! I plan on wiring up the lumbar switch on the driver seat to the line lock, with a master toggle switch that switches between the normal lumbar seat control and power feeding the linelock solenoid. The seat controls are fused to 30A and the switches can handle the amperage the line lock will use. The brown wire between the seat switch and lumbar motor is the line I'm splicing into (cutting and putting the SPDT switch in). I wanted a momentary switch that I could hold down with my left hand and hold the steering wheel with my right, and the lumbar release switch was the one I liked best.