Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Anyone stroked and blown? Maybe spray, too

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Question Anyone stroked and blown? Maybe spray, too

Ok now that I have your attention, what I really mean, who's got a blower on and have built their engine to a stroker? Anyone with a blower also add on a little nitrous?
Looking for some options and experiences to maybe seriously beef up the bottom end and put more boost and/or add nitrous.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

off topic, but that is a fantastic timeslip.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:54 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Nav ran the X and a 75(? maybe it was a 50... ?) shot at the track and I believe he also bumped down to the 2.6 pulley when he blew his engine, which was stock. So far, dual power adders has been a risky venture on our cars.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:46 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Thanks, Devil; still trying to improve on the times with the current setup via adjustments and tuning.

Yeah dual power adders is dangerous I know, but a built engine should be able to take it, at least somewhat better than the stock bottom end. So, fishing here for ideas so more power can be safely supported with the 4.0
Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Thanks, Devil; still trying to improve on the times with the current setup via adjustments and tuning.

Yeah dual power adders is dangerous I know, but a built engine should be able to take it, at least somewhat better than the stock bottom end. So, fishing here for ideas so more power can be safely supported with the 4.0
When Rygen broke his final 4.0L, it was a built block with dual power adders - turbo and a shot (forget the dose). That set-up was optimized for track use with insane power levels, but it was more than the rods could handle. He then went with a 5.4L-3v turbo in his S197. Althoug his 4.0L was quicker than his current set-up, Todd is running a much safer set-up now (and it is still VERY quick).
Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Well that's part of what I'm trying to decide, too, is if it's even worth putting that kind of work in a 4.0L.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
When Rygen broke his final 4.0L, it was a built block with dual power adders - turbo and a shot (forget the dose). That set-up was optimized for track use with insane power levels, but it was more than the rods could handle. He then went with a 5.4L-3v turbo in his S197. Althoug his 4.0L was quicker than his current set-up, Todd is running a much safer set-up now (and it is still VERY quick).
Did he have the SSM billet aluminum rods?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I had stock rods, but everything else about my block was built. Pistons, studded, fasteners, heads, 03/04 cobra valve springs, bearings, polished crank. The rods gave out at 600ft lbs of TQ, when I was at 17psi (16lbs of boost) and a 75 shot.

I didn't run the SSM rods cause they stretch over time. The custom rods I was looking into after I broke the motor were $3k. So I decided to go with a cheaper 5.4.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

OK Rygen, ye ol' wise One, if you had to do it again, would you bother building up a 4.0 or would you slap in a V8? We always have opinions on if we were to do something again if we'd do the same thing.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Wow in all this time I never knew you were on the stock rods. That is an insane amount of power they stood up to before going. It's too bad nobody offers a better rod option. I wonder if you were able to find stronger rods what the next weakest spot in your link would have been...the block itself maybe? You'd think some manufacturer would want to capture this market.

Quick Reply: Anyone stroked and blown? Maybe spray, too