Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

FRPP Single Exhaust *Loud*

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:52 AM
StangerV6

Default FRPP Single Exhaust *Loud*

Here you go, my first upgrade.

Just installed FRPP Single Exhaust for my V6 convertible. Sounds much better at idle, deeper, and throatier for sure.

However, be warned, it is not bearable on the highway. It produces a deafening steady noise in cabin that my passengers are requesting for ear plugs....drone...anyone disagree?

I am debating on whether to cut the loss ($300) and remount the stock exhaust.

It is disappointing that Ford Racing with much high regards is producing such inferior so called "performance parts"
Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your experience. How long have you had it installed? It usually takes a little while for the exhaust to 'break in' and change its tone. I would give it some more miles before you decide to rip it out. Also, have you consitered putting in a resinator? It will keep your exhaust's tone but will get rid of the drone. I think they are something like $80.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:58 PM
StangerV6

It does not seem like much room down there to add a resonator. I assume the resonator is going in place of a section of mid-pipe; correct? In addition, I read they only reduce the volume by 2-3 dB for a straight flow, and 5-7 dB for a spiral flow. That is not even a fraction of the droning noise level experiencing. Without a SPL meter, I estimate the volume is somewhere in the 70 dB.

It is the low (bass) tone that BOOOOOOMS the whole time my foot is on the gas pedal. Relieve is only when coasting, but I eventually have to re-gas. If anyone gets stuck behind a slow mustang, it is probably me letting the car coast for relieve.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:16 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well, I dont know how droning works in a single muffler, but if you have duals, you stager the resonators and I assume you could do this with you Ypipe. It changes the frequency of the noise coming out of the engine. Basically it slows it down some, the cause of the drone is when the mufflers in duals are making the same noise at the same time. If you stager resonators, i have heard it stops it, I havent tried it yet.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:09 PM
turnercc
1st Gear Member

With a dual exhaust system, the drone is created by an obnoxiously timed line-up of the different sound waves. With a single exhaust, i suspect your new exhaust note is hitting a resonation frequency with some of the material inside your vehicle, and those vibrations are amplifying that tone and subsequently driving you nuts.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 PM
clearnoise

I just had a Super 44 installed on mine. It does the same thing that you're talking about; a loud, boomy note at around 2100 rpm...I've found that by cruising at about 67 or 75 mph the noise disappears. You may try cruising at different speeds and see if that helps.

This was really irritating the first time I noticed it; two weeks later and it doesn't bother me anymore. Even if it still did...I don't think I could go back to that stock sound!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:18 AM
StangerV6

Mine starts booming at around 1800 rpm and will not stop until I take my foot off the gas pedal. I do notice a little relieve once in fifth gear, but still boooooooooooms.

What do you think about those rubberized asphalt sheets called Damplifier Pro or Dynamat Extreme? Can I stick a sheet directly above the FRPP muffler? Will it melt with the exhaust heat?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangerV6
Mine starts booming at around 1800 rpm and will not stop until I take my foot off the gas pedal. I do notice a little relieve once in fifth gear, but still boooooooooooms.

What do you think about those rubberized asphalt sheets called Damplifier Pro or Dynamat Extreme? Can I stick a sheet directly above the FRPP muffler? Will it melt with the exhaust heat?
You can try to dyna the trunk, but in the end it will not remove it totally. I don't recommend putting it on top of the muffler cause then you might have other problems. However others can disagree.

When I had a borla install on my 01 GT I put down raamat and foam in the trunk and under the rear seats. It took a while, but in the end the drone stopped a bit and I was happy
Old 03-26-2009, 03:46 PM
StangerV6

Has anyone tried Hushpower II from Flowmaster? They make Hushpower resonator and Hushpower muffler.

The muffler version is 30-40% quieter then the resonator version of the same.

My only concern is if there is room underneath to mount one of them. They are 4 inch thick X 5.5 inch wide X 18 inch long.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:43 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

That's a bummer. Are you wanting to stick with singles? I hear the GTB's that come in the v6 dual kit now are quieter, yet they have more sound than stock. I think they'd be right down your alley if you want duals.

Quick Reply: FRPP Single Exhaust *Loud*