MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.0L V6 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions-66/)
-   -   Does this ebay GT muffler look new to you? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions/528203-does-this-ebay-gt-muffler-look-new-to-you.html)

jf713jf 03-31-2009 09:21 PM

Does this ebay GT muffler look new to you?

I was trying to find the cheapest GT muffler to put on my six and I came across this GT takeoff on ebay. It is claimed to be only 10-20 miles old. The guy selling it is a power seller and has 99% positive feedback but the thing doesn't look new. It's pretty rusted, and looks more-so worn than the mufflers all the sites are selling. Could you tell me if this looks normal to you, and/or if you know somewhere i could get it new for $40 shipped.

http://www.foundadeal.com/ebay2/3-18...8saleen028.jpg
http://www.foundadeal.com/ebay2/3-18...8saleen033.jpg

Black GT 03-31-2009 10:02 PM

It doesn't look "new" to me.

Not to say it doesn't have more than 20 miles on it. Who knows, maybe the guy removed it at 20 miles and took bad care of it, allowing it to get nicked up and weathered looking.

Although I'd think the wear probably occurred from use while on the car due to road debris, which would mean more miles than reported. Mine were in much better shape with greater miles on them when I took them off.

jf713jf 03-31-2009 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Black GT (Post 6076189)
It doesn't look "new" to me.

Not to say it doesn't have more than 20 miles on it. Who knows, maybe the guy removed it at 20 miles and took bad care of it, allowing it to get nicked up and weathered looking.

Although I'd think the wear probably occurred from use while on the car due to road debris, which would mean more miles than reported. Mine were in much better shape with greater miles on them when I took them off.

Ok, so i probably won't be getting this. Thanks for the info man.

Legion5 03-31-2009 11:21 PM

Forum mental retardation triumphs again.

This guy is the biggest Saleen junk seller on the internet. I know his business personally.

That muffler has less than 3 miles on it, and the "my muffler was dirtier than that" is completely bull****. There are two types of damage to car part, surface damage and dirt. That muffler is covered in shop dirt and mud but any discerning person can tell the surface is not mared or knicked.

When I took off my gt mufflers for a show I had to use acid and polish on them to get them to look decent because the dirt was set into the surface and forced to work it's way into it, that looks nothing like a muffler that has set in dirt. As to the rusted comment, the mufflers are made of stainless steel.

Everything in this thread is the oppsite of the truth and I can't even beleive that the OP is unhappy about the price quality or integrity of the seller.

All of these are more than favorable in this situation.

American based powersellers of automotive parts are the most high-quality power sellers there are on Ebay, (it's the little people on ebay you watch out for). This guy has one of the highest feedback ratings on ebay selling a majority of his products as used or junk parts. Allow me to repeat that mostly he sells other people's junk and he has a higher rating than most people that sell NEW stuff. 2.5 out of 1000 people dissatisfied.

For example the largest cell phone dealer on ebay that I'm looking at right now who only sells brand new cell phone has a lower rating than this guy, and so do his 10 cell phone competitors.

Powersellers like this have gone to ridiculous lengths for me such as next day-ing a $100 wiring harness that I paid $30 for because a used one I got was broken in a way that was difficult to detect therefore being of no fault of theirs (they could have simply given a refund and saved $40). I've had similar things happen over 50 times without underestimating. Would your neighbor even do that even if he had an extra laying around? I doubt it.

jf713jf 03-31-2009 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Legion5 (Post 6076440)
Forum mental retardation triumphs again.

This guy is the biggest Saleen junk seller on the internet. I know his business personally.

That muffler has less than 3 miles on it, and the "my muffler was dirtier than that" is completely bull****. There are two types of damage to car part, surface damage and dirt. That muffler is covered in shop dirt and mud but any discerning person can tell the surface is not mared or knicked.

When I took off my gt mufflers for a show I had to use acid and polish on them to get them to look decent because the dirt was set into the surface and forced to work it's way into it, that looks nothing like a muffler that has set in dirt. As to the rusted comment, the mufflers are made of stainless steel.

Everything in this thread is the oppsite of the truth and I can't even beleive that the OP is mad about the price quality or integrity of the seller.

All of these are more than favorable in this situation.

American based powersellers of automotive parts are the most high-quality power sellers there are on Ebay, (it's the little people on ebay you watch out for). This guy has one of the highest feedback ratings on ebay selling a majority of his products as used or junk parts. Allow me to repeat that mostly he sells junk and he has a higher rating than most people that sell NEW stuff. 2.5 out of 1000 people dissatisfied.

For example the largest cell phone dealer on ebay that I'm looking at right now who only sells brand new cell phone has a lower rating than this guy, and so do his 10 cell phone competitors.

Powersellers like this have gone to ridiculous lengths for me such as next day-ing a $100 wiring harness that I paid $30 for because a used one I got was broken in a way that was difficult to detect therefore being of no fault of theirs (they could have simply given a refund and saved $40). I've had similar things happen over 50 times without underestimating. Would your neighbor even do that even if he had an extra laying around? I doubt it.

I have no idea why you are accusing me of

A) Being mad about anything
B) Mental retardation
C) Lying

A) I'm not mad, just questioning the sale because I'm no muffler expert and in my mind, the description didn't match the picture. Usually when something is almost brand new, it looks that way, at least in my mind.

B) I'm not retarded, and asking a question does not make you retarded. That's the reason there are forums, and we are all here to learn and connect, not to be harassed for not knowing something.

C) I never lied. I simply posted the pictures and asked "hey, does this look new to you?"

Your post really just confused the heck out of me. Especially when you said he was the biggest "junk seller" on ebay. That could mean he's the best at selling working spare car parts or that means that he's the best at selling broken parts.

I also don't get why you are so angry at me. I'm not trying to damage anyone's rep, just trying to buy a new muffler. Sheesh.

Black GT 03-31-2009 11:45 PM

Like I said, if it has less than 20 miles on it, it is not well taken care of. If your opinion to this equates to "shop dirt", then so be it. I know mine had well over 20 miles on them and looked much better when I took them off. The existence of this so called "shop dirt" also shows the lack of willingness to take the extra 30 seconds to take a "shop rag" and wipe them off before taking the picture. To me it looks more like road debris and would be harder to remove than simple shop dirt. If you sell products on Ebay listed as used or junk parts then naturally you should expect a high feedback rating if that is what you have, as opposed to listing new parts that are not new. The original question was "Does this ebay GT muffler look new to you?" and to me it doesn't.

jf713jf 03-31-2009 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Black GT (Post 6076506)
Like I said, if it has less than 20 miles on it, it is not well taken care of. If your opinion to this equates to "shop dirt", then so be it. I know mine had well over 20 miles on them and looked much better when I took them off. The existence of this so called "shop dirt" also shows the lack of willingness to take the extra 30 seconds to take a "shop rag" and wipe them off before taking the picture. To me it looks more like road debris and would be harder to remove than simple shop dirt. If you sell products on Ebay listed as used or junk parts then naturally you should expect a high feedback rating if that is what you have, as opposed to listing new parts that are not new. The original question was "Does this ebay GT muffler look new to you?" and to me it doesn't.

Excellent point. If the seller had not posted the photo with the dirt on it and just used a stock photo of a gt muffler and this had shown up at my door covered in shop dirt or whatever we're calling it, i would have become part of the unsatisfied minority.

Legion5 04-01-2009 12:21 AM

I'm just setting the record straight.

Your post has nothing to do with what you are claiming it says. All you did in your initial post was attack the credibility of the seller, and try to make him redundant (when he's already doing a good enough job that nobody can similarly match him). Read your own post.

In any case this thread is continuing in act really idiotic, for example this is a clear case of one man's junk is another man's treasure, this is exactaly what this guy is doing, but some one is saying because I said it was junk as a label to describe some of the stuff that he should advertise it as so. From the buyer's perspective that's not valid or even close to it, and there are many examples of this stuff going on in your posts.

In light of the fact that you mentioned you intend to cause trouble to my friend I've sent him an e-mail linking to this thread asking him to watch out. This is a punishment.

Much of what you have to learn to be a successful "buyer" is this:

American based powersellers of automotive parts are the most high-quality power sellers there are on Ebay, (it's the little people on ebay you watch out for)

And if you do a little research on the price you're set besides this when shopping for car parts like this.

jf713jf 04-01-2009 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Legion5 (Post 6076605)
I'm just setting the record straight.

Your post has nothing to do with what you are claiming it says. All you did in your initial post was attack the credibility of the seller, and try to make him redundant (when he's already doing a good enough job that nobody can similarly match him). Read your own post.

In any case you're continuing to act like idiots, for example this is a clear case of one man's junk is another man's treasure, this is exactaly what this guy is doing, but you're saying because I said it was junk as a label that he should advertise it as so when from the buyer's perspective. That's not valid or even close to it, and there are many examples of this.

In light of the fact that you mentioned you intend to cause trouble to my friend I've sent him an e-mail linking to this thread asking him to watch out.

This is a punishment but all you have to learn is this:

American based powersellers of automotive parts are the most high-quality power sellers there are on Ebay, (it's the little people on ebay you watch out for)

And if you do a little research on the price you're set besides this when shopping for car parts.

I did NOT attack his credibility. I even stated that i knew he was a power seller, and just wanted to see if it looked new to the forum members because they are more knowledgeable than me. I don't want to cause him trouble, I just want to buy a new part from him, not a dirty old one. I didn't say it was junk, because i have no idea and thats why I was asking.

And to tell you the truth, if you are really telling your friend to "watch out" for me buying from him, you are really doing him the disservice, because I will be buying a gt muffler regardless, and guess what? IT WILL BE FROM HIS COMPETITION BECAUSE YOU BARRED ME FROM BUYING FROM HIM!

He can thank you for that. When you could have just assured me that it was a new part with just a little grease on it, you badgered your supposed friend's customer and lost the sale!

Legion5 04-01-2009 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by jf713jf (Post 6076618)
I did NOT attack his credibility. I even stated that i knew he was a power seller, and just wanted to see if it looked new to the forum members because they are more knowledgeable than me. I don't want to cause him trouble, I just want to buy a new part from him, not a dirty old one. I didn't say it was junk, because i have no idea and thats why I was asking.

And to tell you the truth, if you are really telling your friend to "watch out" for me buying from him, you are really doing him the disservice, because I will be buying a gt muffler regardless, and guess what? IT WILL BE FROM HIS COMPETITION BECAUSE YOU BARRED ME FROM BUYING FROM HIM!

He can thank you for that. When you could have just assured me that it was a new part with just a little grease on it, you badgered your supposed friend's customer and lost the sale!

He's had 11,000 satisfied customers and 8 disatisfied customers, you said you wanted to be part of a "unsatisfied minority" the percentage decrease in his reputation would outweigh the loss in his sales volume if the worst case scenarios were weighed against eachother.

Anyway this guy is a good guy. His stuff looks fine. It is fine and the reason his stuff looks like it's covered in oil and mud is because it is, the competitors tend to use stock photos which aren't what you get, also $40 shipped is a great price, most places and all professionals charge $50 or more shipped.