Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust louder? 02 Sensor removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Barricade

Default Exhaust louder? 02 Sensor removal?

So I built a custom exhaust for my 06 v6 Mustang by cutting that little connector pipe in the front and set up a Y Pipe Dual Exhaust with 2 Super 40's. Now I'm wondering how can I get this exhaust louder?? It sounds awesome when i accelerate but it's not as loud as I would like. I heard that cutting the section near the headers where the 02 sensor sits is a bad idea because it messes with your computer but it makes the world of a difference?? And also I ordered some headers hoping it would help make it sound a little better!

Any suggestions??
Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The only way it will be the loadest is if you run without mufflers. Don't eliminate any O2 sensors unless you have a tune that compensates for it. Leave the cats on, they flow really good.
Long tubes wont affect sound that much. I run them, and that's not what makes it a lot louder.
With my current setup, mac long tubes and high-flow cats, and no x nor h pipe, it sounds good running no mufflers, and it is a little loud. I like the sound over any mufflers, but it's a little too loud for all the time.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:05 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Sensors now a days are for emissions purposes only. Hey I can ran my engine without an EGR valve if I get annoyed but you would have to get used to driving it with the engine light on and feel the power baby! lol You can poke holes into your exhaust if you want to make it louder, run it without any cats. lol Remember emissions. Which means you're going to fail because the earth matters now a days. Install longtubes with an x pipe and spintechs axle and tune it. It'll sound loud enough. If you want louder then go for a SC or turbo.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:31 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

DONT poke holes in anything....that is just wrong IMO....exhaust leaks sound like crap and I would laugh my *** off if I heard a car with exhaust leaks trying to rig up something just to be louder...its your car.....you can ruin it if you want.

I have an idea....drive with the windows down all the time and the car will be louder.....
Old 04-04-2009, 04:19 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zanypunk
Sensors now a days are for emissions purposes only.
Not true. The front O2 sensors are needed for keeping proper air/fuel ratios by adjusting the amount of fuel going into the cylinder, based on many factors. Timing is controlled by the computer based on air/fuel to some extent, too.
So it's not all about just emissions. these days.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:05 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

The two O2 sensors closest to the engine (before the cats) are required by the PCM. The 2 after the cats are used to verify the cats are working properly (emissions)