Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 PM
V6GreenMachine

Default Battery problems

Ok, so yesterday I took my car into the Ford dealership to have a brake inspection. Besides them being OK, I knew I was overdue for replacing my fuel filter (at 30000 miles and i'm at 34000). So I buy a motorcraft fuel filter and go home and do the replace it. After being all done I go to start the car to check for leaks - low and behold the car won't turn over. I checked the fuel pump relay that I had to disconnect to make sure it was in fine. I check the fuel shutoff switch and everything is fine. I check the battery with a volt meter and it shows it a little low. So I charge the battery for like 30-45 mins and go to start it. Same thing - won't turn over. I'm like WTF??
I then have my Dad come over and put the volt meter on the battery while I try to start it.
The battery voltage drops like a rock whenever I try to start it. I take it up to Autozone and have them test it - it's bad. I had to pay 90 bucks for a new battery after 34000 miles and 3 years. I had never had a problem with the battery before. And it never hesitated whenever I tried to start the car. My question is how a battery all of a sudden goes like that?
The only electrical problem I ever had was the water leakage in the control box under the passenger side dash which was fixed and the area resealed. Since then, nothing.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:11 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Just curious, do you drive your car often or does it sit for a week at a time without starting it?
Mine will be hard to start when I don't drive it. I asked a Ford tech about it and he said the computer system in our cars that hold the memory draws some current. He suggested a battery tender or trickle. Some guys on here say if you buy a better battery it will solve the problem.

If you do a search, you will find you are not alone.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
V6GreenMachine

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Just curious, do you drive your car often or does it sit for a week at a time without starting it?
Mine will be hard to start when I don't drive it. I asked a Ford tech about it and he said the computer system in our cars that hold the memory draws some current. He suggested a battery tender or trickle. Some guys on here say if you buy a better battery it will solve the problem.

If you do a search, you will find you are not alone.
Well I ended up buying a better battery last night. It has 100 more col-cranking Amps more than the factory battery. And my car is a daily driver. I had it stored in the winter, but I would start it at least once a week to avoid having the battery die on me.