Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Damage to Engine from Cold Air Intake

Old 04-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Default Damage to Engine from Cold Air Intake

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums and relatively new to everything that has to do with modifying mustangs. If this question has been asked a bajillion times before, my apologies.

Is a tune necessary to prevent damage to the engine from installing a cold air intake....C&L for example.

I have Brick from American Muscle telling me that I don't need a tune until after I've made a few engine upgrades (CAI, dual exhaust, throttle body), but then I see guys on here swearing up and down that you need a tune. Most CAI manufacturers say that a tune is necessary, but at what point do you separate marketing from reality.

Can anyone offer any insight to clear up this confusion?

Thanks a bunch guys
Old 04-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The CAI's that require a tune (and some of those that claim they don't) allow more air into the TB and will cause you to run lean, throwing a code and eventually causing damage. If I understand what you're repeating from Brick, he DOES state that you need a tune with a CAI.

BTW, don't buy the tune from AM. Get the combo from either Brenspeed or Bama. Their tunes and customer support are much better.

Last edited by Nuke; 04-17-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Go here. Download the catalog and read the stuff in the section titled "Ford Racing Calibrations" that's on page 38 in the catalog (it'll show up as page 40 in the pdf file display for some reason). Try to avoid reading it as a sales pitch for FRPP's kit - the technical reasons are what they are.

It may be possible to make a little more power by running a little leaner than OE calibration, as OE is intentionally set a little rich under some operating conditions for a specific reason. But understand that running leaner to make more power comes out of your "margin of safety" against running TOO lean perhaps under some different operating condition, which if that happens severely enough or long enough at less drastic levels will result in damage.

Bottom line, I'm very wary of any cold air kit that claims to not require a tune. I just don't see a lot of room between not requiring a tune and adding enough power to be worth doing.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-18-2009 at 06:48 AM. Reason: spel
Old 04-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Go here. Download the catalog and read the stuff in the section titled "Ford Racing Calibrations" that's on page 38 in the catalog (it'll show up as page 40 in the pdf file display for some reason). Try to avoid reading it as a sales pitch for FRPP's kit - the technical reasons are what they are.

It may be possible to make a little more power by running a little leaner than OE calibration, as OE is intentionally set a little rich under some operating conditions for a specific reason. But understand that running leaner to make more power comes out of your "margin of safety" against running TOO lean perhaps under some different operating condition, which if that happens severely enough or long enough at less drastic levels will result in damage.

Bottom line, I'm very wary of any cold air kit that claims to not require a tune. I just don't see a lot of room between not requiring a tune and adding enough power to be worth doing.

Norm
Fantastic Thank you Norm! I agree. It seems to me that installing just a CAI leaves room for potential damage to the engine. That "potential" damage can be avoided by getting the right tune with your CAI.

Do I have that right? A tune will help you avoid any potential damage?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A tune written by someone that's inept potentially could cause damage as would running a CAI that requires a tune w/o one. Brenspeed and Bama (and I'm sure there are others) are considered "competent" tune writers. There are quite a few here that have racked up a lot of miles on the odometer with aftermarket tunes and no problems. As Norm infers in his post, don't assume that anyone other than Ford can write a tune that has the "right stuff".
Old 04-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
A tune written by someone that's inept potentially could cause damage as would running a CAI that requires a tune w/o one. Brenspeed and Bama (and I'm sure there are others) are considered "competent" tune writers. There are quite a few here that have racked up a lot of miles on the odometer with aftermarket tunes and no problems. As Norm infers in his post, don't assume that anyone other than Ford can write a tune that has the "right stuff".
Agreed. I have heard nothing but incredibly positive things about Bama.

Thanks again for the feedback Nuke.