Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford Racing Cold Air Intake install

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Default Ford Racing Cold Air Intake install

Has anyone installed one of these themselves?

The dealer wants to charge me $250 for an install and even the guy at the parts counter is telling me to self install.

Couple questions.

Does each mustang have a unique PCM #? Apparently this is needed and I need to take apart a couple items in the engine to get to it.

And, really stupid novice question, but which cable is the batter ground cable? Black one right? This needs disconnecting to get to the PCM #.

I have read that disconnecting the battery can reset your engine's computer and mess up some of the programming. Any truth to that?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 06-03-2009, 11:29 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Not to deter you from buying the Ford one but you can get just as good from other mfg's for less and they have very good directions to follow with photos. I have done K&N installs and Airaid and both were easy to install.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
fullmonte60
2nd Gear Member

i have the kit. about 1 hr from start to finish, including the program download. i got mine from summit racing they'll price match any cheapo price you can find on the 'net. yes, the black cable on the battery will do it and it won't have any adverse effects. the pcm is in the engine compartment on the passenger side near the front. you'll need to remove a couple of bolts to lift it out far enough to see the pcm # that is needed.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Update:

Got this baby installed this past weekend and WOW! Talk about one hell of a wake up to the engine There is a huge and very noticeable difference in the "get up and go" in the engine.

Overall, the install was very easy to do, and the increase in performance from the FRPP CAI + Procal Tune is incredible.

My only qualm is that the guys at Ford Racing, when you call them, act like either A) your question is stupid, or B) like you are interrupting them from the video games they are playing . Each time I called to clarify a few points of information, they acted like my phone call was a bother to them. They have two lines open, one for SVT/Shelby customers, and the other for technical assistance.

The guys on the tech assistance line weren't answering, so I talked to a guy on the SVT/Shelby line about the V6. He acted like such a snob because he only deals with SVT's and Shelby's and just doesn't have the time to deal with V6 questions. Ugh, give me a break.

Had I talked to these guys prior to ordering the FRPP CAI, I would have gone with another model like C&L or K&N based on customer service alone.

But ford racing guys aside, it is a great product and I'm very happy with the FRPP CAI + Procal tune.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 AM
48prerunner
2nd Gear Member

I'm thinking of getting this kit cause i think its the best looking cia. once you get done with having fun with the new power I'd be interested in if you see any mileage gains with gas prices on the rise again more money in the tank means less for mods
Old 06-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 48prerunner
I'm thinking of getting this kit cause i think its the best looking cia. once you get done with having fun with the new power I'd be interested in if you see any mileage gains with gas prices on the rise again more money in the tank means less for mods
Well, here is the interesting thing about that. A CAI+tune is suppose to increase your gas mileage. But with the FRPP CAI kit, it requires the use of 91+ octane gas. So if I am gaining an extra 2-3 miles to the gallon, whatever I would be saving there I imagine is being equaled out with the higher octane I now need to pay for at the pump. Maybe not, haven't done the math on it so I could be wrong. But it really only adds up to a $3 to $4 increase at the pump each time I fill up, so no biggy.

I work from home. Fill up once every 2 weeks. So the higher octane isn't a negative in my opinion. For the last year I drove my v6 with 87. One day I decided to try out 89, and I noticed a beefier difference in how the car performed. I was shocked at the difference I felt in performance with a simple change to 89, but with factory recommendations to use 87, I stayed with that afterwords. Now with the 92 (don't have 91 octane in my area) + CAI + Procal tune....I'm loving it.

And you're right. The FRPP kit is a really, really, really nice looking piece. I am very happy with this performance mod.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:37 AM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

I can't believe they wanted $250 for the install! My local ford dealer has an aftermarket shop thats part of the dealership that does a lot of local work and he said that it was $100/hour shop labor and they could probably do it in 30-45 mins. Good thing you installed it yourself
Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 AM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

i found this for really cheap is it even worth it? does it really have add noticeable power?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As much as you feel from the FRPP package, other CAI & tune combos (as suggested in post #2) would have yielded higher RWHP gains.

As far as mileage, is that why you spent the money for the FRPP package? To gain 1-2 MPG? If you're worried about gas mileage, you could have picked up a 10-speed bike for that money and still had change left over. We didn't buy these cars for their economy. We all bought them because they look good, can go fast and they give us wood.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:57 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

The FRPP cai is a good looking unit and I think it has better heat sealing ability then most cai's. You can now can get it without the Procal for $215.00 from CJs. Part # M9603M40. I think this might be my Christmas present to myself! With a good tune from vmp I think I will like it very much.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing Cold Air Intake install