Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Should I install 2nd GT Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:17 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Default Should I install 2nd GT Muffler?

I bought a pair of GT take-off mufflers and installed the passenger side muffler a couple of months ago. I am very happy with the change. It added a deeper growl to the engine note and a little bump in hp. I've got the driver's side muffler still sitting in the garage and have been trying to decide if I should add an X-Pipe and install it too. I drive a convertible with the top down as much as possible and don't really want more volume or drone. I'd do this mainly if it would improve performance over the single GT muffler. I've read mixed opinions about this here. Some say it adds a bit more hp, some say there's no change, and some even say it might decrease hp because there's too much airflow for the V-6 engine.

Opinions? Spend the time and money or just save it for a CAI and tune?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:46 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

You wont gain much if any power with the 2nd muffler. The x might actually make it sound worse (i just took my X out because it sounded too much like a f'n bee!).
Normally I've been running dual GT mufflers with no X and no H. Sounds decent.
A dual exhaust is more sporty-looking, but the power difference is very little now that you've gotten rid of the restrictive V6 muffler.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
You wont gain much if any power with the 2nd muffler. The x might actually make it sound worse (i just took my X out because it sounded too much like a f'n bee!).
Normally I've been running dual GT mufflers with no X and no H. Sounds decent.
A dual exhaust is more sporty-looking, but the power difference is very little now that you've gotten rid of the restrictive V6 muffler.
Thanks for this first hand feedback. Sounds like I'm better off saving my money, time, and the few remaining chips I have with the wifey for a CAI and tune.

I'm jealous of your setup, TX Ztang!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

if I had a six, no doubt I'd have duals, looks so much better with two pipes coming out the rear and if you get the right combo it can sound very nice.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 AM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

you could always hang the driver's side muffler and not connect mid pipes to it. LOL
Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Save up for a HP increase (cai and tune).
The V6 aqlready breathes quite fine OEM....
Old 08-27-2009, 10:54 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

+1 on the tune/cai suggestion instead. That's always a simple and effective mod!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:48 PM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LS WHAT
if I had a six, no doubt I'd have duals, looks so much better with two pipes coming out the rear and if you get the right combo it can sound very nice.
+1 .
Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

More first hand experience: As far as change in sound, imagine the change you had from stock to single GT happening all over again. Deeper, more rumble, more volume. As far as drone is concerned, I have mine done with a custom H and I don't hear much drone, but that's in my coupe. In fact, the only time I have anything close to drone is in the morning when driving down this huge hill but it doesn't last long because I'll usually just pop it in neutral and coast down the thing. As far as power, don't expect real gains, but don't expect any loss either. The lack of back pressure dropping your low end torque is more of an urban myth, based on my experience and research. Any crossover you go with (x or H) is going to provide sufficient back pressure so you won't lose the power. Straight pipes is a whole 'nother game that will risk you losing that backpressure/power.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:24 AM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by staggolee
More first hand experience: As far as change in sound, imagine the change you had from stock to single GT happening all over again. Deeper, more rumble, more volume. As far as drone is concerned, I have mine done with a custom H and I don't hear much drone, but that's in my coupe. In fact, the only time I have anything close to drone is in the morning when driving down this huge hill but it doesn't last long because I'll usually just pop it in neutral and coast down the thing. As far as power, don't expect real gains, but don't expect any loss either. The lack of back pressure dropping your low end torque is more of an urban myth, based on my experience and research. Any crossover you go with (x or H) is going to provide sufficient back pressure so you won't lose the power. Straight pipes is a whole 'nother game that will risk you losing that backpressure/power.
What he said. If you lost back pressure or performance, they wouldn't sell these dual kits.

Quick Reply: Should I install 2nd GT Muffler?