Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Questions about going F/I

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
the_pony_express
1st Gear Member

Default Questions about going F/I

Hey guys,

I've been thinking hard lately about pulling the plug and getting the X-charger; I keep hearing nothing but good things about it and I'm ready for the upgrade. If I decided to go for it, would get the Hi-Po plus kit without a tuner and I would do a self install with my mechanic buddy. I just had a few questions about what costs I would be looking at.

With the specified kit, how much would it be for the shipping? Also, are gauges a necessity or can I hold off on those until I gather some more savings in the future?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:47 PM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

I def recommend getting an xcharger. Hopefully the intercooler for it will be coming out soon. Makes the car a blast to drive.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Gauges are "nice" but not required with the "X"

Call Dave at EE, I'm sure if you give him your zip code he can give you a shipping quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:06 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Gauges are not required but they can save you from destroying your engine.
Mainly you need to make sure your air/fuel ration and fuel pressures are in proper ranges. Running too lean under boost can lead to detonation, and major engine damage.
Gauges help alert you to possible lean conditions or lack of fuel (which results in a lean condition).

You also MUST have a good tune. You can't just slap it on and go. You'll probably be changing the fuel injectors, too; the tune has to account for that of course.

If you haven't upgraded the rear end, start looking at doing that. Search here for advice and ways to go. Most f/i peeps use a 8.8 rear end, as they are stronger. You can stick with a 7.5 if you upgrade the differential, but even that might not hold up to the extra power. It depends on how you drive it and on the tires, too; with sticky tires, the rear end will absorb more of the forces and the 7.5 tends to distort a little, tearing up the internal spyder gear teeth.

Otherwise, yeah, get blown!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:04 AM
the_pony_express
1st Gear Member

Ok good info, thanks.

What are some good gauges and gauge pods that are reasonably priced? I'm not looking for anything over the top, just something that will get the job done.

As far as the tune goes, I have the Xcal 3 and I'll have Doug at Bama send me some updated tunes. Don't worry I lurk around these boards much more than I post; I'm familiar with the NuclearMuscle incident

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:26 AM
JimC

I have the Xcharger and installed a boost and AFR wideband. Rather than a pillar mount or the on dash pod, I went with the Roush vent pods - I think they look good in the dash, still get air flow through them (just can't direct the flow), easy to install and at less than $30 each relatively inexpensive as well.

And I know my badge is off center, plan to work on it this weekend - got it level, but ended up too far left
Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 AM
the_pony_express
1st Gear Member

Wow that looks really good! I was looking at the dual A-pillar pod, but that actually looks alot better and more subtle.

What gauges are the best to go with? Obviously boost for one, but I've heard of some going with air/ fuel ratio and others with fuel pressure.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Thanks for the pics Jim, and congrats on your installation.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:49 AM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

I think I'll go boost, afr, and speedometer, not sure if ill do the dash pod or three roush vent gauge pods
Old 09-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I like having fuel pressure and boost/vacuum monitored.

Quick Reply: Questions about going F/I