Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 Dual Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:46 PM
asci01
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by edgespeeder06
alright so this is similar to my problem. I currently have the Ford Racing X pipe cut into my y pipe...sounds good but i wanted the deeper sound from the highflow cats which i can't put on my car i believe because the kit is only made for a gt and won't fit mine So I am not sure which way to go but i'd say go with the actual cats and xpipe....much cheaper (cost $400 to get the xpipe put in
Correct. The cats are different between the GT and V6 but everything from the H back from a GT can be adapted to convert a V6 to duals using the proper X or H pipe designed for a V6 like the Pypes X pipe.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
asci01
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fidysix
What setup do you think will give me the best sound and performance? I am looking more for the sound.
Everyone has a different opinion as to what sounds better on a V6 or GT, but if you ask my opinion the ford racing GTA axle backs are my favorites
Old 09-29-2009, 10:39 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by asci01
Correct. The cats are different between the GT and V6 but everything from the H back from a GT can be adapted to convert a V6 to duals using the proper X or H pipe designed for a V6 like the Pypes X pipe.

Ah okay, but how different? Even if I replace the cats, will it change the problem or will it still not bolt up to the headers? Does it mean I have to the headers too?

I like this option for the v6 99-04 mustangs:http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...ttedxpipe.html

I'm just not sure what I would have to cut.

My original plan was to get 2 Magnaflow High Flow Cats with Tru X-Pipe, one for my 2005 and one for my girlfriends 2000 but now that there is a rumor that they won't bolt up to v6 headers I'm worried about buying it. I really am not a fan of the x-pipe I have cut into the Y pipe and just wanted a real good setup with all magnaflow or something.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:04 PM
asci01
2nd Gear Member

If you want to replace your cats why don't you just use these

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...converter.html

http://customerpics.americanmuscle.c....php?sku=20036
Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

well yeah but I was hoping there would be a whole kit like for the gts, i didn't really want to cut or weld into anything, so expensive to do that stuff here.....I mean if do something like that I won't do it til next summer now but I'll use magnaflow high flow cats....just sucks I'd have to do instead of there being a kit out to make it easier for us Sixers.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:55 PM
asci01
2nd Gear Member

You're right. I don't know of any kit for the V6 which replaces everything from the manifolds back.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 AM
FidyStang

Hey, its Fidysix, I switched S/Ns. I ended up going with the Flowmaster American Thunder with custom mid piping from a local shop. I love them, they are very loud and provide the throaty sound I was looking for, only issue is the drone I am getting from them is so loud (around 2100rpms) I am getting a violent shake inside the cab. It is shaking so much that the hood scoop is rubbing my vinyl stripe off the hood of my car! any suggestions on the drone?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:00 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

It is shaking so much that the hood scoop is rubbing my vinyl stripe off the hood of my car!
Don't think thats your exhaust... And if your hood scoop is moving around you better get it re-applied before it goes flying off lol.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:50 AM
FidyStang

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
Don't think thats your exhaust... And if your hood scoop is moving around you better get it re-applied before it goes flying off lol.
lol. I think my issue is I put the scoop on a few hours after I put the stripe on, so I dont think the stripe was fully applied. The Scoop is barely moving, just enough to provide bubbling towards the front edges.

I went with a low quality stripe to begin with to see whether or not I liked the color. Now that I love the Color I will prob. get them installed by a professional with a warranty and such.

In Regards to the exhaust,

The Exhaust is the only thing I changed. You can feel the drone inside the cab (which I like) but it is causing so much vibration inside the car. I can't figure out why it is vibrating so much.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The drone is so strong it's resonating with other stuff and making things shake! lol.

See if the vibration occurs by rpm or by speed.

Try it in neutral at a stop instead of rolling; you could have a wheel balance issue if it's actually speed related instead of rpm related. Or even driveshaft (my stocker was out of balance).

If the exhaust is indeed vibrating due to the resonance, you might try to secure the exhaust better. You probably don't have the supports on the trans crossmember; those can help stabilize the system. I used to use a third hanger on the passenger side, right at the front of the muffler, using the stock rubber that was used on the front-side of the stock V6 muffler as a 3rd hanger. Make sure you have 2 muffler hangers, too, on each side! Some people/places will take one from the passenger side and use it on the driver side, giving you only one hanger per side; that's no good!

Quick Reply: V6 Dual Exhaust Help