Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Home made turbo charger kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:46 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

will do, once i figure out exactly what injectors i need.

i'm slowing starting to realize, these turbo kits are $4000+ for a good reason, lots of research goes into this stuff lol. not that anything is stopping me!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:42 AM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

You'd also need a better flowing FPR (I'm not 100% familiar with the Mustang yet, but I'm sure there's some sort of FPR on the car).

Rising rate or 1:1 FPR depends on what the experienced builders suggest.

Basically, most stock FPRs on any car won't handle the addition of FI and larger injectors well.

Also, don't forget the "trivial" stuff like water/oil cooling, where and how to tap the feed and return lines, and also cause this is a V6, if you want to go Single turbo or Twin turbo. Intercooler and exhaust selection is also very critical as well. Remember that the V6 only has 2.25" exhaust piping, for most turbocharged setups(especially on a 4L engine) you'd want to go to at least 2.5" through the whole system.

I may be new to mustangs, but I've owned a modified Turbocharged Nissan for quite a few years.

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is a book filled with a wealth of knowledge on turbocharger setups. It's a bit old so some of the information is a bit out of date, but the sections regarding wastegate location, piping configuration and just general turbo information is great.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:54 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IndecisiveS197
You'd also need a better flowing FPR (I'm not 100% familiar with the Mustang yet, but I'm sure there's some sort of FPR on the car).

Rising rate or 1:1 FPR depends on what the experienced builders suggest.

Basically, most stock FPRs on any car won't handle the addition of FI and larger injectors well.

Also, don't forget the "trivial" stuff like water/oil cooling, where and how to tap the feed and return lines, and also cause this is a V6, if you want to go Single turbo or Twin turbo. Intercooler and exhaust selection is also very critical as well. Remember that the V6 only has 2.25" exhaust piping, for most turbocharged setups(especially on a 4L engine) you'd want to go to at least 2.5" through the whole system.

I may be new to mustangs, but I've owned a modified Turbocharged Nissan for quite a few years.

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is a book filled with a wealth of knowledge on turbocharger setups. It's a bit old so some of the information is a bit out of date, but the sections regarding wastegate location, piping configuration and just general turbo information is great.

good points. what exactly are you talking about by FPR? i have a feeling i already know what it is, but probably by a different name.

As far as the oil, i think i'm probably going to do a remote single turbo (like in an STS kit) just for the sake of not having to rearrange too many things in my engine compartment. so i'm going to be needing some sort of oil pump, correct? I will probably call STS soon and see what all they use, hopefully it's just on their website (though i dont recall seeing it). At this point, the fuel system and oil pumping/draining is my biggest worry.

and my book should be coming in within the next two/three days. i bought http://www.amazon.com/Street-Turboch...d_bxgy_b_img_c

I really didn't know which to get, but i'm sure if after reading through it (providing it doesnt over-whelm me and scare me off) i will probably buy one or two others, i'll make sure i get that book you mentioned too.

thanks.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:04 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

FPR is Fuel Pressure Regulator.

I was watching Horsepower on spike the other day and they called it a Fuel Management Unit(makes it sound like it's electronically controlled lol, but it's basically a diaphram controlled by a vacuum source.)

basically as air density rises(boost), you wanna make sure that your fuel pressure doesn't drop off.

Books can be a bit overwhelming at first, but it's worth it if you can stick with it and figure out what the hell they're talking about heh.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:27 PM
rampant racing
1st Gear Member

hey indecisive where in canada are you from.eh!
Old 10-01-2009, 02:23 AM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

lols! i'm in BC, so quite a ways away from ya. Nice to see a few canadian members on here though!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:28 AM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IndecisiveS197
FPR is Fuel Pressure Regulator.

I was watching Horsepower on spike the other day and they called it a Fuel Management Unit(makes it sound like it's electronically controlled lol, but it's basically a diaphram controlled by a vacuum source.)

basically as air density rises(boost), you wanna make sure that your fuel pressure doesn't drop off.

Books can be a bit overwhelming at first, but it's worth it if you can stick with it and figure out what the hell they're talking about heh.
I've heard of it, but don't know alot about it. Is this basically something I fix when I get it tuned or is it something I have to replace?

I figure the book will help explain this? It should be here tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:51 AM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

The FPR insures that the fuel pressure is consistent(doesn't drop off if you add more air, or revs).

The 1:1 means that you're essentially running the same amount of fuel pressure. A rising rate FPR will raise the fuel pressure for every lbs of boost applied. So an example would be, for every pound of boost, your fuel pressure rises an extra 5lbs. That's a rough example but that's basically what it does.

Because in FI applications, you're cramming so much more air into the engine, you have to make sure that the correct amount of fuel can be added.

This is usually a must have mod for most aftermarket FI systems, so do some more research into it and see what other Turbocharged Mustangs are using.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:40 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-are-here.html

you wont need to mess with the FPR, its controlled by the ECU,unlike the older cars.

in all honesty, if you can save up for a kit,i would recomend it. i have been working on mine for over a year, working out bugs and changing things. I was able to do alot more for the money,better parts but i also had to spend money on parts that didnt work,order things that didnt work the way i thought it would,then try to sell them back off to make my money back.a turbo kit already has everything figured out, and can be bolted on in a day.it was a lot of work and alot of downtime, waiting on parts to show up.im happy with the end result but just be prepared,its not easy and will take alot out of you.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:59 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Even though you said it took you over a year to do, how often did you work on it? like about how many days per month? or even better, about how many hours were spent?

i would go with a kit, but like it said somewhere in the book i just got for the turbocharging "building your own kit can be much cheaper, but remember, that money you saved you may spend in man hours", and i have PLENTY of man hours to spend, and also other cars i could drive if the mustang wasnt drivable at the moment.

Now since i have this book, i think im going to spend a ton more time with it before i start planning things out. i'll see if this really is something i can handle.

but thanks for all the help so far, everyone.

Quick Reply: Home made turbo charger kit