Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Home made turbo charger kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

grab some #39 injectors from a 03-04 cobra....i will actually have some for sale in the next couple of weeks when i switch over to my #52's.

no oil pump for a front mount.just a 48" long #3 braided hose, and some 1/8th inch fittings, pull out the stock oil pressure sensor and add a tee to grab your oil.

heres a great tip for you....find all the instructions for the different kits out there, then look thru them all,grab the parts you like and combine them all,thats what i did pretty much.if you look at my design, you can see bits and pieces from all the different kits.

let me know what you need help with,my wife has a 08 V6 mustang and i can take a look at what ever you need help with and tell you what i think about it,one good thing is you have alot more room than what i had.

im not sure how similar the gt gas tank is to the v6, if its the same then you should find a gt500 fuel pump set up,you will have more than enough and its the safest route.

grab your intercooler piping and intercooler off ebay,go to turboforums.com and scan the classifieds for a good turbo,your going to want a 61-67 with a .68 exhaust housing,T4.

do you have a welder?chop saw?have a tuner in mind?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:15 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
grab some #39 injectors from a 03-04 cobra....i will actually have some for sale in the next couple of weeks when i switch over to my #52's.

no oil pump for a front mount.just a 48" long #3 braided hose, and some 1/8th inch fittings, pull out the stock oil pressure sensor and add a tee to grab your oil.

heres a great tip for you....find all the instructions for the different kits out there, then look thru them all,grab the parts you like and combine them all,thats what i did pretty much.if you look at my design, you can see bits and pieces from all the different kits.

let me know what you need help with,my wife has a 08 V6 mustang and i can take a look at what ever you need help with and tell you what i think about it,one good thing is you have alot more room than what i had.

im not sure how similar the gt gas tank is to the v6, if its the same then you should find a gt500 fuel pump set up,you will have more than enough and its the safest route.

grab your intercooler piping and intercooler off ebay,go to turboforums.com and scan the classifieds for a good turbo,your going to want a 61-67 with a .68 exhaust housing,T4.

do you have a welder?chop saw?have a tuner in mind?

i will definitely start browsing around the different turbo boards, i still haven't been able to get some spare time to call the different turbo companies to see what they use (dang school stuff is getting in the way)

i do have have a chop saw, but no welder at the moment. now that ive pretty much decided to do a front mount turbo will i need to do a set of headers for it to? or can i do like this picture here and use the stock cats and headers but use a Y to connect them together and have a 180 up to the front and it still work efficiently? (linked to it since its a HUGE pic)

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2007/05...bosystem02.jpg

if i could do this and get away with it, i feel that would require less welding as far as i know. i know a few people that can weld (dont know skill level though) so im hoping i might can convince them to help me in exchange for something along the lines of being able to test drive the car when its done and a pizza of their choice lol.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conor1148
i will definitely start browsing around the different turbo boards, i still haven't been able to get some spare time to call the different turbo companies to see what they use (dang school stuff is getting in the way)

i do have have a chop saw, but no welder at the moment. now that ive pretty much decided to do a front mount turbo will i need to do a set of headers for it to? or can i do like this picture here and use the stock cats and headers but use a Y to connect them together and have a 180 up to the front and it still work efficiently? (linked to it since its a HUGE pic)

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2007/05...bosystem02.jpg

if i could do this and get away with it, i feel that would require less welding as far as i know. i know a few people that can weld (dont know skill level though) so im hoping i might can convince them to help me in exchange for something along the lines of being able to test drive the car when its done and a pizza of their choice lol.
did you look at my thread? its pretty much the same setup with the stock manifolds, your going to want to get rid of the cats if you can.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:52 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
did you look at my thread? its pretty much the same setup with the stock manifolds, your going to want to get rid of the cats if you can.
i browsed through it, im going to start going through it post by post.

now, if i get rid of the cats between the headers and turbo, can i add the cats back on the exhaust of the turbo so it can be street legal?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:58 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conor1148
i browsed through it, im going to start going through it post by post.

now, if i get rid of the cats between the headers and turbo, can i add the cats back on the exhaust of the turbo so it can be street legal?
yes, just make sure you get the high flow cats.one of the bugs im still working on is the downpipe, i believe it is restricting and causing slow spool up issues with the turbo.this is one of the reasons why i say a kit is sometimes the better route,they already have all the bugs worked out.just make sure then you are planning out your piping to leave lots of room for the down pipe,cause if you start at the manifolds like i did, then route around to the turbo,just keep in mind that a downpipe still has to flow right thru that same area by the transmission.the problem im having right now is i need a bigger downpipe and more open exhaust.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:37 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

One thing im not understanding is what do you mean by "bugs"? are we just talking fitment issues or things like leaks and such?

but about trying to make it all fit, is there some sort plastic pipe or something that could be bent into a shape so that i could see what will fit and what wont?