Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Dual exhaust: got the pipes, now what..

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:31 PM
mustang green skin
2nd Gear Member

Question Dual exhaust: got the pipes, now what..

Alright will I bought a gt take off h pipe with cats and the mids, I know the gt pipes are 2.5 and the v6 is 2.25. I'm trying to find the easiest way of installing these with the least amount of cutting and effort possible.

Could I just completely remove the Y pipe and replace it with the h with 2.5 - 2.25 adapters without any cutting ?

Also for mounting the new hanger brackets for the left side, how do I know where to place them properly ?

I did use the search function on the forum.. didn't find anything so no need to tell me to do that.

encase anyone was wonder what adapters I meant..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-41961/
Old 10-01-2009, 06:55 PM
5T4NG
2nd Gear Member

your prolly gunna have to eyeball the hanger placements after you put on your mids and h. carefull takeing out the Y alot of people seem to have problems removing it from the stock headers.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:23 PM
mustang green skin
2nd Gear Member

ok, so do the adapters without cutting work or not ?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:06 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

I looked into this as you might know when I had my original exhaust plan. I found that you will most likely need to cut the h-pipe back to make room for the adapters so everything will line up
Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 PM
mustang green skin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ABQstang89
I looked into this as you might know when I had my original exhaust plan. I found that you will most likely need to cut the h-pipe back to make room for the adapters so everything will line up
cut where ?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

right after the headers. You can also just match up the H-pipe with your headers and have them welded and remove the adapter.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:32 PM
azrael_nite
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang green skin
Alright will I bought a gt take off h pipe with cats and the mids, I know the gt pipes are 2.5 and the v6 is 2.25. I'm trying to find the easiest way of installing these with the least amount of cutting and effort possible.

Could I just completely remove the Y pipe and replace it with the h with 2.5 - 2.25 adapters without any cutting ?

Also for mounting the new hanger brackets for the left side, how do I know where to place them properly ?

I did use the search function on the forum.. didn't find anything so no need to tell me to do that.

encase anyone was wonder what adapters I meant..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-41961/
New Hanger brackets? I just went through almost this same exact process. cept i installed an x pipe. On my stang I had to tap the holes for the bracket installation. There are stock places where these brackets go. Try to match up the brackets from the other side and you'll find holes where screws go. Only problem is that you'll need to tap the holes... they do not have any thread in them. Or at least mine did not. I was also missing the transmission cross brace hangers. Guess the took them out on later year mustangs.

I ended up having my pipes welded. Didn't want to have to hassle with it if it moved. Welding it also seemed to yield a smoother tone.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:04 PM
mustang green skin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by azrael_nite
I ended up having my pipes welded. Didn't want to have to hassle with it if it moved. Welding it also seemed to yield a smoother tone.

as long as there are not any leaks shouldn't the tone be the same ?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:28 AM
azrael_nite
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang green skin
as long as there are not any leaks shouldn't the tone be the same ?
Yeah it probably would be the same. I must have had leaks specially since my pipes were still moving around. This was the third time having to bring it back to the shop. Guess 3rd times a charm. Sounds great and looks good so far. Only time will tell.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

You'll hear leaks from under the car, and after a little time, it'll be black where there are leaks.
As far as the 2 rear hangers, the holes were tapped on my '05, and they needed the same metric bolts used on the passenger side. There are 2 holes per hanger, one on the bottom of the frame rail and one on the side. You should be able to find those holes.

As far as connecting a gt h pipe, here's what I would do. First of all, you need to keep your stock v6 cats as they are sized and angled to properly flow out under the car. The GT flange on the end is larger than the v6 flange, so they wont' bolt right up to the manifolds.
Where you cut them both is really your choice. It can be farther back nearer where the pipes are coming together before the y, or more where the pipes are straight and still running back. Getting them welded is a better option, but is not required.

One thing you might be able to do, I don't know for sure, is to cut the Hpipe so it slides over a part of the stock pipe and then use some clamp to secure the two together where you want them, mark both pipes real good, then take off the stock pipes and H pipe and get them welded as one unit. As long as the pipes line up like you had them, you'll have what looks like the complete GT catted h-pipe, but it will have the v6 cats and manifold flanges.

Theres many ways to skin this cat!

Quick Reply: Dual exhaust: got the pipes, now what..