Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Why use X or H crossover ?

Old 10-05-2009, 04:26 PM
V6Vin
1st Gear Member

Default Why use X or H crossover ?

I've ran duals on a lot of my old cars and until now never heard of X or H pipes.
Why even use these? Why not just run "real" dual pipes? you know, one on each side.
Is there some reason for making the pipes into one at the middle then back into two?
I do understand the sound difference in the X and the H, not my issue.

Sorry, but I have searched threads for 2 hours and found no mention of this.

Thanks, Vince
Old 10-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

i think it has something to do with equalizing the pressure of the gas. I recall reading something about it but im unsure exactly.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:12 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

let the Professor Wizard explain it:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...explained.html
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Read this article posted on MF.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...explained.html

It will explain alot. Keep in mind that is directed towards a V8 engine. Our V6's are slightly different. Over the years we have done alot of trial and error, and at one time we can up with the X pipe and H pipe have little effect over backpressure on the V6, there is a mild sound difference.

Ford developed a dual exhaust package for the V6 and it came with an x-pipe so that seemed to be the choice for alot of us.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

onderful you beat me to it! I typed out too much stuff :P
Old 10-05-2009, 05:21 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
onderful you beat me to it! I typed out too much stuff :P

i got you on the keyboard holeshot. lol.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 PM
V6Vin
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys ! I think I got what I needed to know.

The following posted by professorwizard:

Some of you ask about a Cross Over on a V6.

In the case of the V6, with their 'Even Firing Sequence'. Having a crossover or not, is very dependent on the size of the exhaust and distance from the engine of the pipes placement. A cross over is not required if the exhaust is 'tuned' to the engine. Tuned systems are nearly always without a crossover pipe because the length and diameter of the exhaust is specifically designed to work with your engine at a specified RPM Range to avoid reversion and scavenging.

On a V6 there is no need for a crossover due to the even firing engine. However, it has been proven that in some instances, a crossover pipe will decrease backpressure and allow for a higher flow. If the crossover pipe is too close to the engine, it allows the pulse timing of the opposing cylinders exhaust cycles, to crash into each other – that is to say, the pressure from a right cylinder will still be present in the left pipe when the left cylinder opens to vent. Too far a placement can create a 'Pulse Vacuum', causing diminished pressure on the venting opposing cylinder, causing decrease in torque (Called Scavenging). .

Proper design and placement of the cross over will allow a balance of pressures across the system and therein increase torque, especially at lower RPM.

Also, it has been shown that having a cross over pipe mellows out the raspy 'ricer' sound that occurs above 3000rpm. So some people install them just for their 'sound' value.

So, the bottom line is, you probably should have a cross over pipe on a V6 exhaust, even though it is not needed. There is minor performance gain and sound gain as well.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I have some questions:

where do I find a tuned exhaust and what exactly is it other than an exhaust tuned for your engine?

where should the cross over be placed?

should I just run a Mac Prochamber on my V6?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:15 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Easiest thing is to buy a kit, such as the FRPP kit, or the Pypes kit, that is tuned for the car and is basically just plug and play.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:24 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Well, LTs, high-flow cats, an X pipe, and GT takeoff mufflers sound like crap (ask ODDYSEY!). It was even worse with straight-pipes (muffler deletes).

But FWIW, it did seem an x-pipe provided a little more top-end power compared to no crossover at all. But this is all with a blower, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why use X or H crossover ?