Supercharging a v6 mustang - MustangForums.com

4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #1  
motoridr09

Default Supercharging a v6 mustang

Hello. Im wanting to put a vortech supercharger on my 4.0L but before i do that i wanted to know how much other modifications i needed to do (exhaust, drivetrain,etc.) so i dont just tear apart my car. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
motoridr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #2  
JimC

You should consider upgrading the rear end to the 8.8 out of a GT. It is stronger than the 7.5 and depending upon your use of the car (maybe some track time with drag radials?) it will hold up better, plus it has the Tlok already.

I actually bent the pinion on my 7.5 when I was naturally aspirated with just an intake, tune and some drag radials on the car.
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #3  
staggolee
4th Gear Member

wow, didn't realize the 7.5 was that weak, might have to upgrade sooner than expected...
staggolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #4  
Rnstanger
2nd Gear Member

When i put on my Vortech I don't think I upgraded anything else that should have been upgraded ie: 8.8 Rear end, Aluminum DS or anything else. Nothing has broke other than the motor. lol
Rnstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #5  
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The rear end is the main thing you need to upgrade.
Other stuff is included with the vortech kit (fuel injectors, spark plugs, etc.).

Make sure you get a good tune; if buying a whole vortech kit, it'll come with a tuner and a tune, but a custom tune will be better. You can use the vortech tune to get you started though.

And good choice, the vortech kit I had has been very good to me for 2 years. (recently sold it to do a v8 swap).

[Where in of Texas are you?]

Once installed, you'll need to relearn how to drive the car: it'll be so much different!!!
tx_zstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #6  
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

It seems like the x charger is the blower of choice for the v6ers on MF. Is there a + or - to the vortch vs the X? tx zstang, did I see on another thread that you've had them both?
Joshspony is offline   Reply With Quote