Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tuning Question for the Pros

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Tuning Question for the Pros

I'm looking at getting a used SCT tuner X2 or X3, whichever I get the best deal on(right now it's looking like an X2). The tuner will be completely blank. Right now the only mods I've done other than appearance is sequentials, K&N Drop in & single GT takeoff. I was wondering if it would be possible to find one of the canned SCT tunes(87 Performance, 93 Performance or a tune for the best mileage on 87). If I found one of those could I upload it to my device and use that? I'm not interested in paying for a tune right now. I plan on getting X-Charged early next year and at that point I'll be getting a custom tune. I MIGHT...and I mean MIGHT...pick up a cheap CAI between now and when I have time to install the X-Charger, so I might get a tune for that too...but in the meantime can I use the canned SCT tunes? I know if I bought a tuner new it would come with these files, but if I buy a completely erased new one can I get the canned tunes back? Sorry if I repeated myself a few times, but I just wanted to be clear about what I was asking. Thanks for looking!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Let me ask, why would you want an economy 87 tune if you're willing to spend the money on a blank tuner? If you're that worried about money, then put the money that you were going to spend on the tuner towards gas. Otherwise, get the X2 or X3 if the deal is right, bite the bullet and get yourself some custom tunes. The car will be more fun to drive. The canned tunes are barely worth the effort.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:45 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

The canned tunes did one thing for me; made the car drivable with a CAI while waiting on the tunes to be emailed to me
Old 11-21-2009, 10:53 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

I would say buying a used tuner wouldn't be wise. If you dump the cash on a used one and it craps out on ya, its all a loss. Buying one new gets you a 1year warranty + you can buy it from a place like brenspeed and get some very cool 'not canned' tunes with it for free.
So far, its the only mod I have (brenspeed SCT X3 and their tunes) and its improved my ride quite a bit, the throttle lag is gone, a bit more on the bottom end, better firmer shifts, more on the top and more. I got 89,91,and 93 tunes from them and I am now running the 93 tune - it really has made the care more fun to drive!

Maybe others will pipe up here and disagree, but I think a tuner is one item you want to buy new, esp if your are going x, you want to have hassle free downloading/loading of your tunes in the future.

Trying to answer your one question thou - you can't just get a 'canned tune' file from somebody - the tune file still has to be set up for your cars exact PCM/strategy code AFAIK
Old 11-22-2009, 06:08 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Let me ask, why would you want an economy 87 tune if you're willing to spend the money on a blank tuner? If you're that worried about money, then put the money that you were going to spend on the tuner towards gas. Otherwise, get the X2 or X3 if the deal is right, bite the bullet and get yourself some custom tunes. The car will be more fun to drive. The canned tunes are barely worth the effort.
The reason I was even going to bother with an 87 tune is my commute. Until I get a beater next year this is my DD. Being my DD it sees about 700miles a week if I go into the office everyday. Spending a little more on gas tends to get a little expensive when you have to fill up your tank every two days. You might have that to waste...I don't. The least I would need is a 89 tune. I'm thinking 87 or 89 economy, 89 perf & 91/93 torque.

Originally Posted by laterider
I would say buying a used tuner wouldn't be wise. If you dump the cash on a used one and it craps out on ya, its all a loss. Buying one new gets you a 1year warranty + you can buy it from a place like brenspeed and get some very cool 'not canned' tunes with it for free.
So far, its the only mod I have (brenspeed SCT X3 and their tunes) and its improved my ride quite a bit, the throttle lag is gone, a bit more on the bottom end, better firmer shifts, more on the top and more. I got 89,91,and 93 tunes from them and I am now running the 93 tune - it really has made the care more fun to drive!

Maybe others will pipe up here and disagree, but I think a tuner is one item you want to buy new, esp if your are going x, you want to have hassle free downloading/loading of your tunes in the future.

Trying to answer your one question thou - you can't just get a 'canned tune' file from somebody - the tune file still has to be set up for your cars exact PCM/strategy code AFAIK
I think I'm giving up on the whole canned tunes idea. I only thought about getting a used one based on resale rate. It's worse than a car. You loose like half the value if u get it and open it. Buying a used one shouldn't be too bad, since it's not an everyday wear & tear item. On a car that doesn't get much track use I don't see them using a tuner that much. A used one is going for half price. I've even seen X3s for $220. I'm thinking of just holding off for a couple weeks and getting a used X3 instead of not waiting and getting the cheaper used X2. I could even get the SF3 and have a couple canned tunes to play with. I think I just answered my own question, but others are more than welcome to comment.