Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:00 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

IGNITION COIL PACK bad again????

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:26 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
If you are wearing out electrodes on plugs designed to go 100K miles,
something is wrong thats burning electrodes.
Electrodes dont just burn away for no good reaSON.
rUNNING A LITTLE TOO LEAN, MAYBE?
Yeah I think it was lean, but it was all 3 plugs on one side (custom tune). That tune got ditched when I went f/i. No problems since.
Never really thought about it being possibly lean, lol. Good point!

(sorry, no thread hijack intended)
Old 12-14-2009, 07:36 AM
F150FXOnline
1st Gear Member

Well Ive put in 3 differant IGNITION COIL PACKs and still getting the code to replace the IGNITION COIL PACK still. The last one I just put in is from FORD and still getting the same code. I also pulled all the plugs last night and they all looked great!

I went a head and took it to FORD this morning. I guess I'll bend over now and get ready for my present from Santa! : (
Old 12-16-2009, 11:55 AM
bur306

Just scanned thru this thread and wanted to jump in to the discussion and tap the collective expertise. I've been using Performance Distributors Screamin' Demon on my '05 V6 for about 18 mos. Nice little power boost and improved gas mileage (especially on trips). Here's the problem tho: I'm on my 3rd one in those 18 months! And, I'm pretty sure it's just failed again (experiencing the same mis-firing & cut-outs as before).put a I'm about test now to be sure and find out which port/cyl is failing before I call Performance.

They've been great at sending replacements under the warranty (12 mos coverage) and I hope they'll do it again.

Question to the forum: Any ideas as to why this continues to happen after about 6 mos driving? Any one else having similar problems? (Note: using upgraded JBA plug wires and have gapped the plugs to Screamin' Demon specs).
Old 12-16-2009, 02:31 PM
F150FXOnline
1st Gear Member

Well just wanted to post back. Come to find out we had a remote start installed about a year ago. Come to find out a wire was loose that went to the coil and was making 2 of the plugs misfire. The guy at ford said the wire looked good tapped into it but after he broke the connection it ran great! So he made a new connection back in the stock wire and is running great now! The whole time it was the remote start wire!! UGH

I have to say thanks for FORD on this one even tho it cost me $$$ for finding the issue and reconnting the wire. Just felt I should post back to let others know.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:40 AM
48prerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bur306
Just scanned thru this thread and wanted to jump in to the discussion and tap the collective expertise. I've been using Performance Distributors Screamin' Demon on my '05 V6 for about 18 mos. Nice little power boost and improved gas mileage (especially on trips). Here's the problem tho: I'm on my 3rd one in those 18 months! And, I'm pretty sure it's just failed again (experiencing the same mis-firing & cut-outs as before).put a I'm about test now to be sure and find out which port/cyl is failing before I call Performance.

They've been great at sending replacements under the warranty (12 mos coverage) and I hope they'll do it again.

Question to the forum: Any ideas as to why this continues to happen after about 6 mos driving? Any one else having similar problems? (Note: using upgraded JBA plug wires and have gapped the plugs to Screamin' Demon specs).
I went with the coil from granatelli motorsports have had no problems over 11k on it
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...and-wires.html