Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My Exhaust: Stock --> Single GT --> GT Duals

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:44 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Default My Exhaust: Stock --> Single GT --> GT Duals

About 6 months ago I replaced my stock muffler with a GT takeoff. I found a pair on Ebay for something like $50 but just installed one. The change gave a deeper growl and a noticeable gain in performance. The 3-5 hp gain I've heard seems about right. This mod is a no-brainer. If you have a stock V6, do this if you do nothing else. It's probably the best bang-for-buck mod there is.

I finally got tired of tripping over the second muffler in the garage and decided to get it installed rather than toss it. My local muffler shop created a custom H-pipe and mandrel bent the pipes. They did a quality job and even did the bumper cut for me. (I gave them the Pypes template.) The job took about 4 hours of shop time. Cost was $250. My SO let me do this as a Xmas present.

I went from the single GT to the duals mainly for looks. I was worried about drone and maybe even a slight torque drop with the loss of back pressure. I'm actually very pleased. The duals have the same pitch and volume as the single GT under acceleration, but with a rounder, smoother tone. To my surprise, they actually are quieter when cruising. Maybe that's because each muffler has to do deal with only half the air flow? I didn't notice any performance change either way and don't hear any drone. That's important since I drive with the top down every chance I get.

Update:

After living with the duals for a week, I have to say that they've really grown on me. I've been able to drive the car under a greater variety of conditions, including a couple of WOT highway merges. The tone is rounder-- more "stereo"--than the single GT muffler, though the pitch and volume is about the same. I get just a bit of that muscle car "gurgle" at idle, but not enough to be annoying. I think this is a worthy mod, especially if you really like the dual look. If you use the stock GT mufflers, the whole mod can be done for $300. Just be aware that it will give you only subtle sound improvement and no performance gain over the single GT muffler.

If you are in the Atlanta area and want the contact info for the shop, let me know. These are good guys.

Last edited by atldave; 01-09-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: updated
Old 01-02-2010, 09:54 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

nice write up. i will be doing the single very soon. i plan on only going single but it is impossible to find just one gt take off without going to the dealership and spending $$$ on just one muffler when you can spend half and go to ebay for two
Old 01-03-2010, 01:02 AM
TPLSTNG
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the write up. I am still torn too. And I am tripping over 4 mufflers in my garage...the stock, the second GT manual(7849) and a pair of GT500's(7991). I should probably sell something.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:22 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I don't think I would have done this mod if I didn't have the 2nd muffler just sitting around in the garage. I just couldn't bear to toss it in the garbage. After a few days of driving, I'm glad I did it, although I had to delay some other mods on my to do list. I also added painted mirror caps this week. Car is lookin's sharp!

Next on my list: a GT front bumper before the S197 takeoff's all disappear and a CAI/tune. Gonna have to wait on these though.

Last edited by atldave; 01-03-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Yeah definitely gotta agree with everything, I had the same experience when i went to dual GT's, and it only improved with the Flows. Congrats on the great mod!
BTW, just to clarify, GTA's are not the same thing as GT takeoffs. GTA's are 4" Ford Racing mufflers, and are the older brothers to the GTBs that are on the Bullitt. In fact, if I remember correctly, GTA's are being phased out by Ford to be replaced by the GTB's
Old 01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
TPLSTNG
1st Gear Member

I got my Steeda cai for 65 and my tuner for 162...so there are deals out there if you look hard enough.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

In the future I would like to switch out my GT mufflers for either Corsa or Borlas.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Well, if anyone DOES have a single GT takeoff from a manual installed and wants a matching takeoff for the drivers side, let me know PRONTO. I'm tossing my drivers side GT takeoff in the trash tomorrow nite. I'll let you have it just for the shipping or, if you're in the Chicago area, it's your to pick up. PM me ASAP.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by staggolee
BTW, just to clarify, GTA's are not the same thing as GT takeoffs. GTA's are 4" Ford Racing mufflers, and are the older brothers to the GTBs that are on the Bullitt. In fact, if I remember correctly, GTA's are being phased out by Ford to be replaced by the GTB's
Yep, you are right. My bad. I made the changes to my original post.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TPLSTNG
I got my Steeda cai for 65 and my tuner for 162...so there are deals out there if you look hard enough.
You got a GREAT deal, my friend! I keep a sharp eye out on Ebay and the parts for sale section of this board, but I haven't managed to be quick enough yet. Ah well, always another mod to do, right? The mod bug is a terminal disease!

Quick Reply: My Exhaust: Stock --> Single GT --> GT Duals