Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 dual exhaust noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:57 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Something is hitting somewhere. Adding resonators won't solve your issue, other than moving things around a little so that the clearance issue may work itself out.

There is a TSB about exhaust rattles at the trans hangers; the solution is putting work clamps around the rubber isolators to firm them up. The dealership put them on my '05 while under warranty, even though I had put on dual exhaust.

Getting the system to be stable with no rattles has been an ongoing challenge.
One thing that helped me at times also, but this was at the rear, was to add another hanger to the passenger side muffler, so it would hang a little higher and use the front-most stock rubber hanger that is used by the V6 muffler.

But since your rattle is more up front, it's got to be there somewhere.
Also check the location of the pipe running back under the passenger compartment along the frame, before the X; it can be located too close to the frame and hit at times.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:02 PM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

Im getting a vibration since I put my dual exhaust on too. I happens when the car is warming up and at idle when the compressor is on (A/C or defroster)
I dont have trans mounts on my car (2010) did they eliminate them?
anyone have this figured out? Nothing is hitting anything anywhere, I'm thinking i might add a hanger around the trans mount area to limit any movement. It seems to only be there when the engine is under a certain load and certain RPM.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:15 PM
toconnor9999

I put on resonators in my system and staggered them like someone suggested. Since then, my convertible is quieter and a somewhat smoother. Both pipes are mounted at the transmission and the muffler with hangers that use rubber bushings. Just to bring you up to speed, I installed duals using GT takeoffs with an X-pipe. I have an automatic also!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:48 PM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

hmmm, i went over everything on my car today nothing rubs nothing hits anywhere. It only does it at certain time, (when a/c is on ect like stated before) If I touch the pipes, anywhere from the muffler tips all the way to the cats when the compressor kicks on and off I can feel a difference in the vibration on the pipes. Like I said before I dont have any factory hangars @ the trans mount. I'm thinking maybe to fab something up to tie it in there and maybe it would take some of the vibration out.
If I dont use the defrost or a/c i have no problems at all.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and following the
adaptive relearning procedure in the owners manual?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:24 PM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and following the
adaptive relearning procedure in the owners manual?
I am going to do this right now and see what happens.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brutedawg20
Im getting a vibration since I put my dual exhaust on too. I happens when the car is warming up and at idle when the compressor is on (A/C or defroster)
I dont have trans mounts on my car (2010) did they eliminate them?
anyone have this figured out? Nothing is hitting anything anywhere, I'm thinking i might add a hanger around the trans mount area to limit any movement. It seems to only be there when the engine is under a certain load and certain RPM.
I had to do this. Completely eliminated the problem I was having...nearly identical to yours, minus the A/C being on. Total cost for welding two additional hangers to the pipes by the trans mount area was $85'ish.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

I had an intermittent bad vibration after putting on the NTO GT dual kit. It seemed to make the whole exhaust system vibrate. The rear hanger on the driver side muffler was just long enough, that sometimes it would rub, or vibrate against the rear of the bumper support system. Cut it off about a 1/2 inch, and everything is fine.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:41 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

If the vibrations are caused by the drone of the exhaust, installing staggered resonators should help. I have dual exhaust on my V6 and I get some drones that I can see may cause vibs somewhere. It's all just resonance frequency of the exhaust running through the pipes and the frequency builds upon the metal's frequency and the resonators positions. I can't guarantee that will eliminate the problem, but it should help at the least
Old 07-02-2010, 11:30 AM
conmit

Hi there. I also had that problem, but I've installed the x-pipe and tha rattling sound disappeared. However I have a hitting sound in the back of the car. Whenever I go through a rrough place it seems like something is hitting at the back.

Quick Reply: V6 dual exhaust noise and vibration