Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 dual exhaust noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conmit
Whenever I go through a rrough place it seems like something is hitting at the back.
I have that too. It gets annoying but I haven't had the time to have it checked/fixed
Old 07-02-2010, 01:06 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by toconnor9999
Yes, I stil have the original catalyic converters. I'll look underneath soon for clearance. I'm wondering if the X-pipe causes turbulance in exhaust thus making it vibrate. JCON, I did a write-up on the installation of duals. If your interested, I'll send it. Duals on a Mustang convertible give a real sporty look.
I have Pypes X Pipe, mid pipe and two GT Mufflers and haven't noticed any vibrations or drone. A lot of times I drive around with the radio off just to hear the duals sound....much better than the putt-putt V6 single muffler I had.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
A lot of times I drive around with the radio off just to hear the sound....much better than the putt-putt V6 single muffler I had.
Same here, or at least I did all the time when I first got my duals installed. It was the dead of winter and the windows would still be down
Old 07-02-2010, 01:29 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

i had the same problems and have found it. the hangers on the body for the mid pipe are not secure. there is a metal band that hold a rubber grommet to the body. well on the passenger side it was not tight against the body and would cause it to rattle through out the whole car.

also when using stock GT mufflers, when it got hot enough the exhaust system would expand and cause the hanger on the passenger side to touch the bumper and rattle.

Before:

After:
Old 07-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

There's a Ford TSB that says to cut out those "band"grommet" assemblies if you have vibration.

Also, some people have had to bend or cut their hangar rods if there was bumper contact.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:21 PM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

2010s do not have the hangers at the trans support.

as stated before mine only vibrates when the A/C is on, when the compressor kicks on and off, and only does it at idle as soon as i press the go pedal it is gone until i stop again.....are your compressors noisy or cause vibrations? when i turn the A/C off I am good.

I am still planning on making some kind of bracket to support the x pipe and see if it takes my pipe vibration out....just havent figured out the best way to do it.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:44 PM
mcstang12
1st Gear Member

i have a similar issue after i got my 2010 frpp dual exhaust on. a vibration seems to occur when the exhaust heats up. and seems to be coming from right side...
Old 07-06-2010, 10:27 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
Before:

After:
Neither of those look good! That hanger can cause rattling havoc!

Regarding the tranny mounts, there's a TSB to help tighten those up, too: the tsb puts a worm clamp around the rubber, and that makes the mount much firmer, less rattling around. Of course you have to have the hangers at the trans to begin with.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:27 PM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

anyone know where i can get the hanger grommets at the trans mount? I want to add them to see if my vibration goes away but dont know where to get them, I can't seem to find then online anywhere
Old 07-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brutedawg20
anyone know where i can get the hanger grommets at the trans mount? I want to add them to see if my vibration goes away but dont know where to get them, I can't seem to find then online anywhere
I have spoken with the ford dealership about this issue (I have an 08 and no trans mount either). According to Ford, you cannot purchase this part. Your best option is to call around to junk yards and see if there is an 05-07 that you can pull the part from and replace yours with.

I have also tried having hangers welded onto my car. While that fixes the issue, the metal hangers hold the exhaust system too rigidly in place....ie, not allowing the pipes the flex and move with the rate of flow of the exhaust. Consequently, I got a NASTY vibration that would occur at 850 rpm and 1500 rpm because of it.

The second I removed those hangers, that problem was gone...but the initial problem was back.

Added support for the pipes seems to be the solution (even though Ford Racing swears up and down you don't need hangers welded on or the trans crossmember mount with rubber hanger mounts).

Quick Reply: V6 dual exhaust noise and vibration