Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust problems, need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:24 PM
romac

Default Exhaust problems, need help

I want to start off by saying this is NOT a typical which exhaust is best thread

This may get a tad long winded so bare with me. Right before winter hit I was in the market for an exhaust. At the time, I was running a single GT takeoff, and liked the sound, and I also had a drivers side on to match already as well. I was looking at exhaust systems and I couldn't make up my mind on a complete system, as at the time I didn't want anything too loud, and I had the takeoff mufflers already so I figured hey, what the hell why not piece one together.

What follows is my nightmare. I ordered a Pypes x-pipe to go along with my GT takeoffs, and figured I'd have a shop fab up the mids. There's only one exhaust shop in town that does mandrel stainless work, and he charges out the *** for it. At the time I didn't realize it or I would've just ordered a kit. But, since it was so retarded expensive (I seriously could've ordered a complete kit for his install/fab price), I decided to look around. Eventually I went to a shop my friend recommended, and what a hack job they did. I had tons of issues with the tips not being lined up properly/fitment issues, and had to go back a couple times.

All was good until a few weeks ago when I was driving. Every time I accelerated or gave the car gas, there was a ticking/clicking sound. I traced it down to the front of the xpipe (right after the cats). The shop used some ****ty c-clamps that weren't holding it all the way together, and it was leaking pretty bad. At this point I went to a different shop. They didn't even look for a leak, and I told them where it was. Instead they adjusted my tips (that took FOREVER to get right), saying that was the most common exhaust noise fix. I raised hell, wasn't charged, and left. Then I went to a Meineke down the street. They saw the leak immediately, but wanted $31.99 a piece for band clamps, plus labor to tighten them on. Ok fine, no one wants to weld it, I'll get my own clamps. Two days later I had a pair of preformed stainless 2.5" band clamps from Jegs ($7.99 a piece btw).

Now, I can NOT get the ****ty c clamps off. They've rusted on already. So while I'm dealing with that hassle, I'm also deciding I want a louder exhaust, and I want rid of the aluminum piping the shop used on my drivers side. So I figure lesson learned, I'll get rid of the mids and mufflers, Pypes had mids for $150 shipped on some sites, and then get mufflers of my choice. Well while I'm under there today trying to get the damn clamps off the front of the X so I can put mine on, I notice the bastards also sleeve welded the midpipes onto my X pipe instead of just mating them. With aluminum no less.

Now my question is: Can my X-pipe be saved? Is it possible to cut the welded sleeve parts off without damaging/shortening the X itself?
Pic of sleeves

What do you all think I should do? Save the X and get new mids? Or scrap the whole damn thing and start over?

One or the other has to happen, as I'm not happy with the work, the sound, or the alignment of the tips now.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:34 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Here is what you need to do.

Go to the PROPER exhaust shop and pay them to remove the crap job the first muffler shop did. They may need to shorten your X-Pipe, but if they are good they can just weld on some extensions to make it the proper length.

Then install your new Pypes system. Let me warn you ahead of time that Pypes is known for having poor fitment, which is where the RIGHT exhaust shop comes in handy again as they can properly fit and align everything.

Just remember if you don't want to have to pay more down the road, spend your money right the first time.

I learned this lesson multiple times throughout my life and take caution when I spend my hard earned money.

The key to not getting ripped off is asking lots of questions and if they guarantee your satisfaction. Do not pay them until you see the work they have done. Ask for references and call them and ask questions. This is the best way to protect yourself from getting ripped off.

-Jeff
Old 04-05-2010, 04:57 PM
romac

I'm definitely going to research shops a lot better. Funny thing is, I regressed a little picking this system, as on my previous cars/trucks I used Magnaflow catbacks the whole way.

I swear if I could find a cheap v6 factory system I'd swap back to it in a heartbeat.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

I got word of mouth references and then went in and talked to the people. They even let me watch and take pictures during the installation. Heck I even assisted in the alignment of the tips and he did it to my liking right there on the spot.

I was very please with the results. So just do your homework.

As far as keep and rework vs starting over.....Let the shop look it over and give you their recommendation. I'm assuming the X is reusable but sounds like it needs cut short but a good shop can then weld in extensions like blackout suggested. I used all stainless steel tubing and clamps on mine. The one thing I learned after the fact is they have SS welding wire. I'm not sure what was used on mine but learn from my mistake and ask ahead of time.

G/L and let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:20 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Man that sucks. Like Red07Pony said, gotta do some homework before you let anyone do ANY work on your car. There are so many morons out there with garages it's not even funny.

To be honest I stay away from "exhaust shops"...Midas/Meinakee (however thats spelled).

I always look for a "reputable" race/speed shop. I'd imagine in KY there must be some not too far. But when you find one, they can fix what you have. No need to go buying everything again, they can easily cut/weld. Thats why God gave us welders.

GL.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:49 AM
romac

Thanks guys, I'm actually starting fresh. Ordered Pypes kit that has an X-pipe with stainless mid pipes and no mufflers (since I already have take offs), and all necessary clamps, for $299. Had I known you could order it this way to begin with I'd be better off... but, oh well. This sets back my plans a bit, I was hoping to get a GT rear bumper asap as well since my cut is less than ideal, but I'll just have to get back to saving for it. After that hopefully some new axlebacks.

To some it might sound crazy starting over, especially money wise, but I can't put a price on peace of mind. I'm trying to decide now if I want to try and hang it up myself with clamps, or have it welded. If I have it welded you can bet your *** I'll be a lot more specific with the shop doing the welding, and it'll only be done with SS wire. If the X-pipe can be salvaged, I'll put it on craigslist, or give it to a guy I know who just picked up a '10 v6.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

wow, that sounds like a real mess. Glad to hear you are on the downward slide though. I'm with you on starting over, piece of mind is the most important thing. Let us know how you come out in the end.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:19 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Typical exhaust shop work.
Most people wont get under and inspect the workmanship.
They know that and the few that do is just the cost of doing sheitty work.
Typical...