Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

GT intake on a V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:56 PM
ferelpuma

Default GT intake on a V6

I was wondering if it was possible for me to install a GT intake on my '05 V6. im going with a CAI and i want to know what u guys think is the best choice in brands for me. I got a Cervini hood with scoops, but the recommended intake for it is a Ram, not a CAI.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Dub9Stang
1st Gear Member

nopee. the gt had a double style throttle body, while the v6 has a single.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:50 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

You have the Cervini ram air kit? Your not being clear... For a CAI if your getting a tune with it, its all personal preference. But I'd get an C&L or JLT.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 AM
ferelpuma

Originally Posted by 05MustangMarkIII
You have the Cervini ram air kit? Your not being clear... For a CAI if your getting a tune with it, its all personal preference. But I'd get an C&L or JLT.
sorry if i wasnt clear. i purchased the hood for my mustang; and it was recommended that i purchase the intake kit for that hood, however, i did not since it was a ram intake the one being recommended, and i am leaning towards a CAI.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
JimC

The ram air intake kit for the Cervini hood isn't the CAI. Two separate things are being talked about. The CAI goes from or is integrated into the airbox to the throttle body (oval throttle body in GT and round in V6 so they aren't compatible).

The Cervini hood ram air kit attaches to the hood and directs the air from the scoop on the Cervini hood to the air box attached to your CAI - it simply is a a way to dump the outside air coming in over to the air box. So that will work with either a GT or V6 because it isn't part of the CAI - it's just a hood mounted tube to direct the air flow.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:43 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Bingo

So you're able to run both at once for maximum air flow. However you wouldn't be the only one not to install their hood's ram air kit, many people don't find the minimal gains worth the extra cash. It is possible to do both if you want though.

As far as which CAI you should get it depends on if you're going to get it tuned, which you really should if you're already going to spend that much money on a new intake. So if you are getting it tuned then yes, go with one of the above mentioned brands. With tuneable CAI, the gain differences between them is minimal so go with what you like seeing under the hood the most. Just be sure it's supported by Brenspeed, Bamachips, VMP, or some other reputable Mustang tuner

On the off chance you want an inake that does not require a tune, I have never had a problem with my K&N and can recommend that to you. However I did get mine very cheap and probably wouldn't pay full retail for it.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Forums!

Last edited by staggolee; 05-07-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:11 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

If you are looking for a performance gain, purchase a CAI/tune combo. I have the Airaid CAI, which does not require a tune, however the HP gain is minimal (5-7 HP). I ran my Stang with the stand alone Airaid CAI for several months and did not really feel too much of a difference. I read alot on the forums and decided to order the SCT Xcal3 tuner w/ 3 custom tunes from Brenspeed. Once I uploaded the tune, I felt an instant performance gain!!! I was very pleased with the results!!
I highly recommend a CAI/Tune combo!
If you don't have the cash for both, you can purchase a CAI that does not require a tune and then purchase the tuner/ custome tunes afterwards.
Good luck!
Old 05-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-sct-0509v6-kit.html

JLT cai/tune at american muscle starts at 529, a little more for C&L or Ford Racing. Choose the one that looks the best to you. They come w/ Bamachips tunes and have free tunes for life.

Just an FYI