Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Cheapest dual pipes?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:28 PM
MattS93
1st Gear Member

Default Cheapest dual pipes?

Just wanted to confirm that the NTO dual setup is the cheapest one out there? I plan on experimenting with various mufflers and possibly fabricating my own mufflers, so I basically just want the cheapest piping for true duals. Also, I need 2 catalytic converters yeah??

While Im at it, what do you all think of running two different mufflers? Like a completely different muffler on each side?? I think it would produce a rad and unique sound as well as eliminate droning.

Last edited by MattS93; 09-05-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:59 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

NTO is the cheapest for all of the kit... Pypes makes a good kit aswell. Not sure how two different exhaust pipes will sound/look but me personally I'm running a Y-Pipe and I have a straight pipe on one side and a muffler on another, sounds great and have never heard another sixxer like it.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:16 AM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

if you are going to swap around mufflers just buy the pipes you need.
rockauto.com has x=pipes and mid pipes. thats the route i went. and i just bought gt takeoff mufflers. you can get the whole setup for a lot less than the whole kit from NTO, especially if your arent going to use the nto mufflers.

you dont need new cats unless you want high flows. the stock y-pipe is behind the cats, just cut it off and put on the x or h pipe.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
NTO is the cheapest for all of the kit... Pypes makes a good kit aswell. Not sure how two different exhaust pipes will sound/look but me personally I'm running a Y-Pipe and I have a straight pipe on one side and a muffler on another, sounds great and have never heard another sixxer like it.
I would love to hear this! Got a U-tube?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:27 PM
MattS93
1st Gear Member

isnt it not true duals if i run a y pipe after the cat? or are you saying i already have two cats?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:30 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
the NTO kit IS Pypes. In the NTO pypes kit there is an X pipe and mid pipes along with 2 GT Mufflers. I purchased the NTO Kit and installed them soon afterwords. The Price I bought mine was at $413. And I have to say it was a great buy, the sound is nice and deep and will get better as miles are racked onto the car. Its not too loud or obnoxious and there is no drone. This kit is similar to the one on American Muscle, but with GT mufflers instead.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:59 PM
MattS93
1st Gear Member

well rock auto is $92 for the x pipe, $40 for the right side mid pipe, and $37 for the left side mid pipe. grand total of $169 and then I can dick around with whatever mufflers I want ha
Old 09-06-2010, 03:51 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MattS93
well rock auto is $92 for the x pipe, $40 for the right side mid pipe, and $37 for the left side mid pipe. grand total of $169 and then I can dick around with whatever mufflers I want ha
haha do what you want but you still need the mufflers. I got ALL new stuff including both the GT mufflers and SHIPPING and its for a 2010 not a 05-09 so when you come up with 169 dollars add shipping then add the mufflers and subtract it for a different year model and it'll be cheaper.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 PM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MattS93
isnt it not true duals if i run a y pipe after the cat? or are you saying i already have two cats?
you already have 2 cats, you will cut your existing ypipe off after the cats to install the xpipe or hpipe. so you dont need new cats any you still get true duals

take off GT mufflers can be had for very cheap $40-$50.
if you buy the parts and not the kit you can get it for cheaper than NTO. Plus sounds like you arent going to run gt takeoffs anyhow.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:05 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brutedawg20
you already have 2 cats, you will cut your existing ypipe off after the cats to install the xpipe or hpipe. so you dont need new cats any you still get true duals

take off GT mufflers can be had for very cheap $40-$50.
if you buy the parts and not the kit you can get it for cheaper than NTO. Plus sounds like you arent going to run gt takeoffs anyhow.
but if you buy them separate how do you know they will line up 100% correctly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheapest dual pipes?