Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Which Tune??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:38 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
First AM suggests you not run race tune for daily driver! They would be stupid to tell you not to buy their product! One thing is now in question after taking to a good friend in the local club! I was telling her I was going with the SCT tuner from AM because of life time tunes! She told me that yes it is true that AM offers lifetime free tunes but ONLY IF THE UPGRADES COME FROM AM! If this is true and it makes sense, I'm going elsewhere with my money!
Yes that's true...!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Pick 3 of the tunes and just do it. Even if you get the race tune and only use it on occasion... 30 HP gain is probably crank on a great day. RW average is more in the 20 range as stated earlier.

Even a good custom 87 octane tune will knock your socks off over the stock 87. It's not just the added power but also the improved throttle response and shifts, if you're an auto.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:21 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

First, we offer free tunes for life REGARDLESS WHERE YOU PURCHASE THE UPGRADES FROM. This is something that nobody else does. We hope that you would purchase the parts from us. We strive to have the best inventory, same-day shipping, free shipping and price matching options. Just give us a call! We understand that sometimes someone else is going to have an item we're out-of-stock on, or don't carry, etc. We have 175,000 square feet of Mustang parts, but there's never a dull moment! We appreciate your business, and understand when these things happen.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:28 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

As for the race tune... a good 60%+ of our customers daily drive their race tune. Maybe 20% of them have been running the race tune for over 60,000 miles with no issues... some as high as 100,000 miles. The race tune is going to do what you tell it to do. If you're always beating up the car, the engine/transmission longevity is going to be reduced. If you drive it like a grandmother, it won't affect engine/transmission longevity at all. If you do a little bit of both, insread of needing a new transmission at 125,000 miles, you'll need one at 115,000 miles. It's not as bad as people believe.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:34 PM
lovablesteven

once I get my tuner I'm going for the 93 octane
Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I enjoy my 87 custom tune over the 87 stock. It is a night and day comparison!
I don't plan on racing or taking her to the track, so it works for me.
It's my daily driver and I just want the drive to be more enjoyable. =-)
Old 12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
revtime

Will a shaker hood give the same type gains as a CAI? Do they make a 91 Octane tune and does it give the same gains with a manual transmission?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 05:16 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by revtime
Will a shaker hood give the same type gains as a CAI? Do they make a 91 Octane tune and does it give the same gains with a manual transmission?

Thanks
Shaker hood+tuner won't do the same thing as a CAI+Tuner. Though it is a nice appearance mod.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:11 PM
revtime

Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X
Shaker hood+tuner won't do the same thing as a CAI+Tuner. Though it is a nice appearance mod.

Thanks. I was hoping for more of a ram air effect but the stock type airbox prolly doesn,t help much.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:57 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

The stock airbox LOCATION is good for over 1000RWHP. There's no need to force more air through ram air, etc. The stock ducting will bring cold air to the intake. The only thing that needs to be upgraded is the inlet tube, MAF housing and a higher flowing filter. Basically, a big *** cold air intake will handle more horsepower than you'll ever put down. No need to route air from anywhere else, because the volume of air is already more than sufficient.

The shaker hoods look sick, though!

Quick Reply: Which Tune??