Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Time for a Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Default Time for a Clutch

Ok I believe its time for a new clutch because my transmission has a rattle like throwout bearing even though I know we dont have one but I am assuming that it is the clutch.

So I was going to replace it with a Spec or something similar in performance standpoint and a flywheel and driveshaft.

My question is should I go with a stage 1 or 2 because I going to eventually do more but as of right now I not going to be putting on any power adders. I was thinking about putting some cams and heads on down the road but I wasnt sure
Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

No one has any imput on which stage I should go with
Old 12-05-2010, 01:34 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

bump up

I know some poeple have had exprence with aftermarket clutches on these cars so which is the best
Old 12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

bump up

I know some poeple have had exprence with aftermarket clutches on these cars so which is the best
Old 12-06-2010, 09:14 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

I'm happy with the CenterForce Dual Friction. Something about Spec turned me off - probably all the advertising and the fact they came out of nowhere. I've seen more then enough unhappy posts from v8 installs to be glad I avoided them.
There is a tsb on the rattling that relates to the exhaust hangers under the trans you might want to look into. I have a very noticeable rattle at idle after replacing the clutch. A little pressure on the stick and it goes away. Not sure if removing the trans caused the hanger issue to surface, or if its the clutch. CF adds a ring above the fingers of small metal blocks that are supposed to add clamping power as RPM increase. They could also be the source of the rattle. What I like about them is when you speed shift you can hear them shoot into place, sounds just a bit like a mini blow off valve for lack of a better description. you can see them in this pic.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:03 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the input. I have read some bad things about spec to I guess I will be getting a fidanza and centerforce combo.

As for the exhaust I will definitly look into it because i have a dual system on my car and while it didnt surface for a while that could possibly be it. It also doesnt help that my Hurst rattles like crazy. I going to fix it when I pull the tranny so hopefully after I am done, all I will have to listen to is exhaust which is fine by me