Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

stock v6 mustang nitrous ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:29 AM
_aztec69stang_

Default stock v6 mustang nitrous ?'s

Im pretty sure this topic has already been discused on here at some point but im having trouble finding a good thread on it buttttttt what shot of nitrous is safe to run on a completely bone stock 2006 v6 mustang? ive heard of 50-100 should be fine but wanted mustang people opinions... nitrous is a new thing to me.. also kits you would recomend running and planned on getting a tune along with doing the nitrous
Old 12-22-2010, 05:50 AM
JimC

I ran the Zex kit with a 75 shot for two years. Easy to install and the car ran great with it. Be sure you get a window switch because even though the Zex kit said that the nitrous management unit (NMU) will learn wide open throttle (WOT) and not fire until you hit WOT, it will read it pretty low. I had it armed once at the line, brought the rpm's up to 1700 to stage and the NMU read it as WOT and fired off.

The window switch will block the signal to the NMU until you hit your set rpm's (I had mine at 2300 - 2400 to open)
Old 12-22-2010, 10:05 AM
_aztec69stang_

ok thanks makes me happy i wanted to run more than 50 but anyone ever used the venom kits that good up directly to your computer and measure a/f ratios and everything for you????
Old 12-22-2010, 10:06 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I ran the Zex kit with a 75 shot for two years. Easy to install and the car ran great with it. Be sure you get a window switch because even though the Zex kit said that the nitrous management unit (NMU) will learn wide open throttle (WOT) and not fire until you hit WOT, it will read it pretty low. I had it armed once at the line, brought the rpm's up to 1700 to stage and the NMU read it as WOT and fired off.

The window switch will block the signal to the NMU until you hit your set rpm's (I had mine at 2300 - 2400 to open)
What kind of numbers were you getting?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:19 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

I'm not clear on whether you plan on running bone stock for a while, or if you plan to get a nitrous tune at the same time as you install the kit?
Zex is the most popular having been the first to market with a complete ready to go S197 kit. Keep in mind the only physical diff between a v6 & v8 kit are the jets provided. So if you can get a deal on a used V8 kit do it, just work off the v6 tuning guide/instructions. I see Zex has redesigned their site and its a 100% improvement - V6 instructions pdf.
Bone stock just use the kit instructions as your guide. One step colder plugs (NGK TR6 work well) gapped at .035 and 93 octane gas up to a 75 shot. You could probably push it to 100 adding some octane booster but in reality I see no sense to it, your going to get much improved performance and engine safety with a nitrous specific tune - regardless of the shot you spray. That will adjust your timing and A/F among the other magic they do. Your tuner of choice will also be able to tweak their nitrous tune for your particular set up but if needed, but for max performance go with a dyno optimized tune.
The window switch is a good option. I would add a bottle heater, bottle pressure gauge and a fuel pressure safety switch to the list.
You can check out my install and a few other things on my page.