Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Is K&N the best brand for Cold Air Intakes

Old 01-01-2011, 11:48 AM
RIguy

Default Is K&N the best brand for Cold Air Intakes

I've been doing some research on cold ait intakes, thus far K&N seems to be the best brand. Over the years I am looking to upgrade my '05 4.0L v6, wish I could do it at once but the money isnt there.

What is the best Tuner/Cold Air Intake combo out there? Thanks!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:03 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I love my C&L CAI. I got it and my tune from American Muscle.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/cnl-sct-0509v6-kit.html
Old 01-01-2011, 01:33 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

If you are gonna waste your money on one of those the best one I ever saw was on the AMSOIL website. If you just pull the snorkel off your airbox you get a free cai. The AMSOIL one was the nicest tho and I did my homework. It also has a synthetic air filter that is dry so you never have to worry about over oiling. Just buy a high flow drop in and pull off the snorkel and you are done. My car does high 12s with 100 shot and snorkel off. Just my 2 cents
Old 01-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The real power gainer is the tune and who writes it. The CAI's are typically broken down into 2 categories: no-tune-required and tune-required. The no-tune-required CAI's perform a bit worse with a tune than the tune required CAI's. In each category, though, the CAI's are equivalent in performance.

A stand-alone CAI isn't worth the effort or $$.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:57 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Agree with Nuke, no tune CAI isn't worth it, the tune makes the difference

Try Tunable Inductions, I love mine
Old 01-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

pretty much what everyone else said, most CAIs aren't gonna be that different. You want to put your marbles into a tune. American Muscle works with bama so if you buy from them you get "free" bama tunes. probably your best bet right there.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:41 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I have the SCT Tuner from AM with a drop in K&N Filter The tuner awakened the beast!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
RIguy

so thus far I know that I need a tuner. The SF3 sounds best, especially since american muscle provides you with free tunes for life. Has anyone had experience with that?

As for the CAI itself, tunable inductions provides a custom paint job. I can get it to match my legend lime vehicle. Am I being blinded by the fact that the tunable inductions CAI will look good? What do you recommend?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

NO! They are really nicely built, and alot of people know what K&N is, but there are better intakes out there. Get one that you can tune properly for the maximum increase
Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RIguy
so thus far I know that I need a tuner. The SF3 sounds best, especially since american muscle provides you with free tunes for life. Has anyone had experience with that?

As for the CAI itself, tunable inductions provides a custom paint job. I can get it to match my legend lime vehicle. Am I being blinded by the fact that the tunable inductions CAI will look good? What do you recommend?
Yes. I bought that kit from the link I posted and it works great. The guys at Bama are great at making tunes, and if there is a problem they have great support. I got the 89 street, 89 performance, and 93 race. I have not tried the 93 race yet but both 89 tunes are great (I currently run the 89 performance).

The painted intake would look cool, and I am sure it would function fine. Pretty much every CAI does the same. Hopefully someone who bought a tunable inductions CAI and then got the tuner from AM will chime in on if AM can/will/does make a tune for that particular intake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is K&N the best brand for Cold Air Intakes