Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

deepest, meanest exaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 AM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

Default deepest, meanest exaust?

i posted this in the pipes section but decided it'd be better to post here. i want to redo my exaust to duals, and want it to be deep but pretty loud and mean(not really loud but able to hear it well loud). i want the rumble and i want it audible when accelerating. i can go off-road with no mufflers etc etc because we don't have the test for anything. i will do headers and everything just whatever it is to make it sound great. thanks guys
Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Great sound? On your 6? "Deep" and "mean" are relative terms when you're talking the 4.0. But I'm sure you'll get good input here to make it sound "better".
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 AM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

i meant deep and mean for a v6
Old 01-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

The 4.0 can sound pretty damn good at low rpms but no matter what set-up, at higher rpms you can tell it's a V6. If you take the cats off it will sound like sh*t, so loud isn't something you should go for. That being said I recommend my set-up, H Pipe and GT takeoffs. Nice and deep at start-up/driving around and not obnoxious when I get on it (plus the axlebacks were only $50 shipped). The H pipe is said to sound better, while the X is said to slightly flow better, with minimally better performance but it is a little raspier
Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

i would definately not cut out the cats, it makes the exhaust reallyloud and raspy, and it does sound like ****. the best thing to get would be just axlebacks. an H pipe will make the exhaust deeper than an X pipe, but the X will sound smoother. I currently run GTB axlebacks, the same ones that are on the Bullit mustangs and they are deep and mean, but at idle and cruise you cant hear it inside the car. the best exhaust i have ever hear on a mustang was the FR500S exhaust. the only downside to that exhaust is its price ($599.99) for the mufflers only.. I have heard it only once on a 6, the car had stock headers, stock cats, an x pipe and the mufflers, it was like an eargasm, so needless to say thats going to be my next exhaust.

the only other option would be a cervinis side exhaust and those kits sound awesome, look really mean, but again the price is up there. ive heard quite a few with the kit on a 6 and they sound really nice too
Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Great sound? On your 6? "Deep" and "mean" are relative terms when you're talking the 4.0. But I'm sure you'll get good input here to make it sound "better".
Bastard took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 AM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

shouldve been faster...gotta want it haha
Old 01-10-2011, 10:46 AM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic
i would definately not cut out the cats, it makes the exhaust reallyloud and raspy, and it does sound like ****. the best thing to get would be just axlebacks. an H pipe will make the exhaust deeper than an X pipe, but the X will sound smoother. I currently run GTB axlebacks, the same ones that are on the Bullit mustangs and they are deep and mean, but at idle and cruise you cant hear it inside the car. the best exhaust i have ever hear on a mustang was the FR500S exhaust. the only downside to that exhaust is its price ($599.99) for the mufflers only.. I have heard it only once on a 6, the car had stock headers, stock cats, an x pipe and the mufflers, it was like an eargasm, so needless to say thats going to be my next exhaust.

the only other option would be a cervinis side exhaust and those kits sound awesome, look really mean, but again the price is up there. ive heard quite a few with the kit on a 6 and they sound really nice too
thanks man. the fr500s do sound good, but that price is really high and same with the cervinis. im thinkin bout a c-series front bumper but i think the sideskirts for the side exaust are too low. louisiana roads are absolute garbage
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic
the best thing to get would be just axlebacks.
He'd need an H/X pipe too
Old 01-10-2011, 10:49 AM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

^correct but i'll probably go off-road. the guy that doesn't my inspection is a "let me right down your mileage, heres a sticker, wheres my 10 dollars" kinda guy lol

Quick Reply: deepest, meanest exaust?