Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

does your V6 rattle the car at idle when hot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Angry does your V6 rattle the car at idle when hot?

Hello all,

My 2006 V6 will sometimes rattle the car when its all warmed up and idling. It kinda sounds like the exhaust is rattling or the whole car is vibrating. Sounds like the car has metal motor mounts. And when the A/C comes on, it can make it worse. The Throttle Body was cleaned by dealership 20,000 miles ago. It has 65,000 miles total. Any others out there with the same vibration rattling their cars? I've looked at the exhaust and it is not touching anywhere. Hate to say it, but makes the car feel cheap! But I do love it!

Any help appreciated.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:00 AM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Here's a pic of engine....testing out how to post pics. Anyone with rattling out there?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Besides the rattle itself, it sounds as if you have a rough idle. Whose tunes do you have? The AC changes the idle speed so the rattle is worse due to getting closer to the resonant frequency of whatever is rattling.

Assuming that nothing really IS lose, I'd probably go after the rough idle begining by cleaning the TB again (DIY, it's simple and the dealer is just rippin' you off) as well as replacing the fuel filter. Also, when did you change the plugs last? One other inexpensive thing to try before looking for a mechanical problem would be to run SeaFoam thru the fuel system. Just read the directions on the can to be sure you have the proper ratio. I'd do at least 2 tank fulls and be sure to run each tank mix below 1/4 tank.

Let us know if those don't clear it up. We can't have a Stang out there making us look bad...
Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

I just bought the car 2 months ago with 60,000 mi. I have all the maintenance records, so I know the dealer did a fuel injector treatment as well as the TB cleaning. ( Yes, dealers are a rip off ) I will do a TB cleaning myself...understand most recommend CRC? The plugs have never been changed...suppose to change at 100,000 miles. Do they really last that long? And I have read the posts on Sea Foam..will try a bottle this week. The motor has a Ford Racing Performance tune along with dual exhaust from Ford. Hope that fixes the rattle that I get about 50% of the time. Other than that, it runs great and is enjoying a life of luxury in my garage and getting to run on the weekends!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:32 AM
mikescg

I have a similar rattle that occurs when i accelerate to get on the freeway. It started after i had the Ford Dealer add a Ford Racing dual exhaust, program and K&N filter. I took it back and they checked the exhaust to see if it was hitting something but couldn't find any problems. It seems to me like it is coming from inside the new exhaust and happens less now than when it was first installed. BTW the car is a 2010 w/ 5 speed manual.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys...I went out and got Seafoam for tank, CRC Throttle Body and MAF sensor cleaner. I have my weekend project ready to go now! Should I take off the throttle body to clean it? Are there any "got cha's" involved in taking off TB?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 AM
JimC

Easy to remove the throttle body, just 4 bolts hold it on. The electrical connectors have the tabs, pull back the red tab, depress it and slide out the connector. They may be sticky so difficult the first time. Make sure you don't mix up the sides where they go back on. I can't remember on the stock set up if you only have to remove two connectors and if they are different or like on my Xcharger I have 3 connectors to work on and two are the same.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 PM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

loose heat shield maybe???
Old 05-18-2012, 06:51 AM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the great replies. I took off the throttle body yesterday (easy)and it was filthy. Cleaned it out along with a Seafoam spray into the throttle body while running. Seems to be smoother but have not had chance to really drive it yet. And noticed a pool of oil back inside intake manifold. Hard to believe oil just sits there...is there an oil separator just for the V6 with all the connectors ready to go?? I looked online and it seems all are for the GT's. DIY would work too for me.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:48 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

I drove the 'Stang for a while today after cleaning TB, intake, and MAF sensor.....purrs like a cat now! No vibration and idle is rock steady! Thanks guys( and gals ) for the help. Learning so much...not like the 1977 Trans Am I had in the 80's when I was a gear head.