Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Brake kit that WON'T break the bank.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:45 AM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Default Brake kit that WON'T break the bank.

Hey people. My car has 81000+ miles on it. I believe the pads have been changed since the factory 8 miles but not since the 73000 when I got it. They are fine, but the rotors are unsightly (at close view) and the break dust is terrible.

I want to get a break kit (front and rear pad and rotor kit) that are at least a little better than stock (performance), look better than stock, but something under $300 with shipping.

I am NOT a break expert so I would like to see if someone could either set me in the right direction with a recommended set or tell me any pros and cons with the example I found. Thanks!

Example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Machi...ht_2783wt_1167
Old 03-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

The eBay kit may be ok, but the price seems toO go to be true for real good brake products.
Many V6 guys will upgrade to GT rotors up front and Hawk performance pads all around. The next step would be Power Slot GT rotors.
Moving to the GT rotors up front will give you a larger rotor than the V6 OEM, the rear is the same size on both cars. You will need the GT caliper holders as well.
New take off has a good package:

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt...2005-2009.aspx

Depending on what your doing with the car you may also consider brake line upgradeds too.
Short of these options you'll need at least 18" wheels and a big brake package.

Last edited by Wes_T; 03-05-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! Breaks are not first on my next list (though it is on there), but I want to just get some knowledge on what's available. But due to money going towards performance, I am keeping the stock 16" rims. So whatever I decide to get has to fit in them.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:45 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverStallion05
Thanks! Breaks are not first on my next list (though it is on there), but I want to just get some knowledge on what's available. But due to money going towards performance, I am keeping the stock 16" rims. So whatever I decide to get has to fit in them.
Well GT brakes won't fit the stock 16" wheels, if you are going to stick with those wheels you will have to buy V6 specific rotors that are the same size.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:28 AM
pbfoot

I went to the GT rotors and caliper brackets.Very noticable increase in stopping power.You do need the 17 inch wheels.I bought a set of new take offs with pirelli rubber for $750
Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pbfoot
I went to the GT rotors and caliper brackets.Very noticable increase in stopping power.You do need the 17 inch wheels.I bought a set of new take offs with pirelli rubber for $750
Sounds good, but the $750 would go toward other things. Lol. As of now I am only looking for budget breaks (if I even get them at all). My list consists of "go fast parts" and not cosmetic or "stop fast" parts.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
O'Connor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverStallion05
Sounds good, but the $750 would go toward other things. Lol. As of now I am only looking for budget breaks (if I even get them at all). My list consists of "go fast parts" and not cosmetic or "stop fast" parts.
should probably worry about stop fast parts to match the go fast parts... lol
Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Well remember the rubber contacting the road is what stops the car, the more rubber; the better stopping distance. Bigger brakes increase the power to stop, I didn't notice a whole lot of difference with my gt brake upgrades.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:17 PM
tnroadrunr
1st Gear Member

I did a similar brake upgrade to my vette. Kept the stock size but went to Drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic performance brake pads. the brakes cool down much faster which elimates brake fade and added a lot of stopping power to the system. I am very sure that going to bigger rotors and 4 or 6 piston Calipers would make a huge difference, but what your looking at will also make a noticable difference in your stopping power.

Now for the looks, when your done with that add a set of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MGP-R...item27b8f937a1

and you will enjoy the best of both worlds, increased stopping and better looking.....

Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 AM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

I don't know about red. I was thinking either black caliper covers or silver. Either way, those are not on my list any more.

Quick Reply: Brake kit that WON'T break the bank.