Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Duel exhaust from RockAuto Questions: 2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Default Duel exhaust from RockAuto Questions: 2007

I have a 2007 4.0 and would like to go with duals. I already have both GT mufflers so I'm good there. I just want to make sure I order everything I need to do this in my driveway.

I saw on RockAuto that they sell everything I need for a great price.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

I just want to make sure that all I need to order is the drivers side pipe since I have my stock passenger side pipe, a X pipe from them or AM, and what else? Hangers, clamps, what and how many?

Thanks for your help,
Tyler

Last edited by StreamlineStang; 03-07-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Me no know how to spell...durrr
Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 PM
JimC

You need the driver side mid pipe, and 2 hangers for the driver side muffler. For some reason the Rockauto site won't load for me right now, but all you need to get is the driver side for the GT because the passenger side is the same for the V6 and GT.

You will need 2 step down band clamps for the down tube (2.25" size) to the X pipe (2.5") and then 2 band clamps for the X to the mid pipes (2.5" each). I got my band clamps at the NAPA store, somewhere around $11 back when I bought mine.

If you are careful you might be able to use the clamps on your current Y pipe set up.

And of course if you don't have the GT bumper you will need to cut the opening in your V6 bumper for the second muffler. There is a template at www.pypesexhaust.com, just make sure you print the template out full size and don't leave your printer set to "make it fit"

(and a little grammatical comment -- it is "dual" and not "duel" exhaust.)

Last edited by JimC; 03-07-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
You need the driver side mid pipe, and 2 hangers for the driver side muffler. For some reason the Rockauto site won't load for me right now, but all you need to get is the driver side for the GT because the passenger side is the same for the V6 and GT.

You will need 2 step down band clamps for the down tube (2.25" size) to the X pipe (2.5") and then 2 band clamps for the X to the mid pipes (2.5" each). I got my band clamps at the NAPA store, somewhere around $11 back when I bought mine.

If you are careful you might be able to use the clamps on your current Y pipe set up.

And of course if you don't have the GT bumper you will need to cut the opening in your V6 bumper for the second muffler. There is a template at www.pypesexhaust.com, just make sure you print the template out full size and don't leave your printer set to "make it fit"

Thanks for the helpfull info.

I ALWAYS spell that wrong without even thinking about it.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Are you sure I need 2 hangers for the drivers side? It only shows 1 in the pictures?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:31 AM
JimC

Yes, the muffler has a hanger at the front and at the back. It can be difficult to see the back one in pictures. After you get it installed if you have a rattle or tapping sound that is frequently the back hanger hitting the bumper bar and all you need to do is adjust the muffler. It was driving me nuts trying to find it and then I noticed that the bumper bar showed little marks where the hanger would tap it intermittently.

And I've noticed you aren't the only one to have "dueling" exhaust!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Yes, the muffler has a hanger at the front and at the back. It can be difficult to see the back one in pictures. After you get it installed if you have a rattle or tapping sound that is frequently the back hanger hitting the bumper bar and all you need to do is adjust the muffler. It was driving me nuts trying to find it and then I noticed that the bumper bar showed little marks where the hanger would tap it intermittently.

And I've noticed you aren't the only one to have "dueling" exhaust!
Where/how much did you get the hangers for? They are like $40 each at RockAuto.

They will duel to the death over the best airflow I guess...
Old 03-08-2011, 11:19 PM
JimC

It's been awhile but I think I picked mine up at v6mustangstuff - or it could have been at the Pypes website.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:13 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I had bought two GT Mufflers from a member here, so I needed the extra parts too. I went to www.V6Mustangstuff.com and ordered the Pypes X-Pipe set up. It will come with everything you need except the hanger on the driver's side. The shop fabricated one for me. So far, I have no rattles or drone.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:56 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Are you installing this by yourself or going to a shop to get it done? Most members here will buy their choice of mufflers and an x or h pipe then take that hardware to their shop of choice where they will fabricate midpipes and install it all with the hangers they have on site.

I just thought it'd be a heck of a lot easier taking the basic components to the shop then having them use what they have in stock rather then worry about having every single piece...