Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Make My 09 v6 Mustang run like a v8???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Alright then, lets just ask him.

OP, do you intend to add performance mods to your car so that you can take it to the track and race or is this just a street car?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
You read me wrong. I know that Nitrous is not a continuouos flow. God could you imagine such a thing?

No what I'm saying is that when a lot of guys start looking to make their car faster often times the end goal is about getting out there on some city street and racing people in traffic. Dangerous and stupid. The car is more than fast enough already to get you into plenty of trouble on the streets. Why are you pushing it? To teach some guy next to you at the light in his GT a lesson? What lesson?

What I'm saying to you now is from the point of view of someone who is 40 and works in the emergency services business. I get to see the end result of what happens when young men get out there on city streets and start doing foolish things behind the wheel of powerful cars. Good people get hurt, sometimes even killed. It's not worth it just to claim bragging rights over some chode in the car next to you that you don't even know.

If you're going to keep all of your desire to race people at the drag strip or a race course than that's absolutley cool. But modding your car with the intention of thrashing it out on some street where innocent people on their way home from dinner and movie are put at risk is not cool at all. It's dangerous and stupid. I'm just encouraging you to be mindful of that and be careful. Trust me you don't want to be responsible for accidentally killing some poor little kid or anyone in a car crash because you were racing and have to carry that with you the rest of your life. Just be careful is all I'm saying.
I totally agree with your statement, its just I didn't specify they whole street racing thing. There is a time and place, and I am (hopeful) sure the OP will be able to make that discretion... That being said, alec is spot on about the bottle thing, its not just a simple bolt on, its much more labor and parts specific OP. Good luck! And drive safe
Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
I totally agree with your statement, its just I didn't specify they whole street racing thing. There is a time and place, and I am (hopeful) sure the OP will be able to make that discretion... That being said, alec is spot on about the bottle thing, its not just a simple bolt on, its much more labor and parts specific OP. Good luck! And drive safe
I personally wouldn't use nitrous without internals that could handle it. I know that's not supposed to be a problem with the powershot stuff but I'm just leary. Although at this point in my life I wouldn't add it anyway. I'm just saying, "if" I was going to use nitrous, I'd have forged internals.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Get more bottles of nitrous, then when your engine blows up, buy a v8 block

Best way to put a V8 in its place is to have 8, 10, 12, or 16 cylinders

Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by JimC
Yeah, but there's nothing like lining up against a Firebird making all kinds of noise, hearing his buddy yell out "no problem, it's just a V6" - and then leaving him sitting while the supercharger screams all the way to the stripe. For some reason they didn't want to talk afterwards. (although they did stop to take a look when I had the hood up but as soon as I started walking over they took off)
Originally Posted by 07 Stang
I would have loved to see the look on his face! I'm sure it was PRICELESS!
It was pretty funny - I'm sure that they were questioning themselves at first if it was really a 6.

On another trip to the track a guy in a S197 GT wanted to line up against me - motioned other cars past him in the staging lanes so we would be up against each other. We started our burn outs and he stalled so while he was restarting the whine from my supercharger was screaming out - he told me afterwards that he thought something was wrong with his car at first. Then he realized it was my car and he said that his friends had all said when I made a pass earlier "there is something different about that car - and it has a GT rear bumper but everything else is V6, but it can't be a V6". When we got back to the pits he came over and was checking my car out and said "no wonder you beat me so bad, mine doesn't have the supercharger." Then I told him, "but you have 2 more cylinders" - he turned back to look again and said "I didn't even realize that was a 6!" When we walked back over to his car his friends all said "you really beat him pretty bad on that pass" and he said "and to top it off I was just wasted by a 6!"
Old 03-30-2011, 09:54 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
I personally wouldn't use nitrous without internals that could handle it. I know that's not supposed to be a problem with the powershot stuff but I'm just leary. Although at this point in my life I wouldn't add it anyway. I'm just saying, "if" I was going to use nitrous, I'd have forged internals.
Originally Posted by JCON
Get more bottles of nitrous, then when your engine blows up, buy a v8 block

Best way to put a V8 in its place is to have 8, 10, 12, or 16 cylinders

I ran two seasons with a 75 shot of nitrous on my car and never had a problem. I did get it dyno tuned before running it however. At 90,000 miles on the engine I pulled the nitrous and put the Xcharger on the car. The plugs still looked like new and that was after 2 seasons with at least 2 weekends each month from May to November at the track with countless numbers of passes on it.

I have 167,800 on the car right now and it still runs great on the stock internals. The 4.0L is a very strong engine and will take a lot. No reason for forged internals or changing it out - as long as you properly set up the nitrous and use a window switch so it doesn't spray too early, and don't go crazy on the size of the shot, you will be fine with it.

But nitrous is a track only power adder. I used to go through a bottle of it every trip to the track, and refilling it every 10 passes or so at $4 a pound (anywhere from 8 to 10 pounds each refill) got to be a pain.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 AM
whitethunder09
1st Gear Member

I am definitely NOT going to go out racing on the streets. I intend to start getting into racing and this is my start. I am looking at getting a supercharger but What other mods would I need to be able to put in the supercharger?? And also arent bolt ons bad for the engine?? I am new to this. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:06 AM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

All you need to put the supercharger in is the supercharger kit, and a tuner, a very highly recommended upgrade to an 8.8 rear end, and maybe a short throw shifter to help with the awesome t-5 tranny (sarcasm intended) and some lower control arms to help keep the rear-end from hopping at launch. Every other bolt-on isn't needed, but they help
Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Jim is making me feel bad my car doesn't have the V6 "stealth" thing going