Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2008 v6 auto transmission concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 PM
raimjob2@hotmail.com

Default 2008 v6 auto transmission concerns

Hi Guys I just have two questions regarding my transmission.

I have been having a vibration at exactly 50 miles per hour; as soon as I take the car to that speed the car starts to vibrate somehow like the vibrator of a cellphone but constant (not really hard but still annoying)until I reduce or increase the speed. One day I tock the car to the dealer and the mechanic told me that it was the overdrive engaging at that speed; we took the car for a test drive and he asked me to disengage the overdrive and the vibration disappeared since the overdrive doesn't engage when the switch is off. The mechanic told me that that is normal on all v6 mustangs from 2007 to 2009; He said that Ford removed a support bar from cars after 2006; and that is what creates the vibration. My question is: is he lieing? is my overdrive broken? if I disengage the overdrive the car drives wonderfully but with the drawback of reduced fuel economy (the car sounds nicer since it revs 1000 rpms higher)

Second question:

I notice that when I climb a small hill while reducing throttle (no brake pedal applied) the transmission would hesitate and a I would get a loud bang like something hitting the transmission; after that the car gets into gear without problems.
This problem doesn't happen all the time. I usually get this problem when I'm approaching a light climb with a turn.
This is how it happens:
I'm going back to my house from work; I cross a stop right in front of my subdivision; after this stop I lightly accelerate to climb a small elevation on the road (or hill; my subdivision is a bit elevated from the street level) when I'm on the middle of the climb at no more that 20-30 mph I release the throttle to keep my speed low; it is in that moment when I get a loud BANG like the transmission has not engaged to the right gear or it is like it can't decide which gear to use. After this bang; the transmission will engage the right gear and the car would continue normally. Again this is an sporadic problem; but annoying.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by raimjob2@hotmail.com; 01-05-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Interesting. My 2006 has a similar problem with the vibration in question 1. It seems that somewhere around 60mph the car shakes as it switches gears and just for a moment. Like the shift is rough. I had it before my bama tune but that seems to have made it a little bit more obvious.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:59 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

The vibration may be driveshaft related, my 5-speed does similar things. The stock driveshaft is big and bulky.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:26 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

a lot of people use an aluminum 1-piece to reduce vibration, a known issue for us. I haven't had any issues but I have some support underneath that not everyone has. What was he saying was removed and causing it?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:34 PM
raimjob2@hotmail.com

The vibration only happens at 50 m/h if you go faster or slower it stops to vibrate; also if I use the overdrive off the vibration does not occur at all at any speed; actually the feels better with the overdrive off.
If I'm not sure what piece they removed after 2007; he said it was a "support".
Old 01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

The vibration sounds like the driveshaft to me too. It could be very slightly bent and cause a vibration. As JCON said, replacing it with a aluminum 1-piece shaft is a great mod that frees up some power, if that happens to be the issue
Old 01-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As far as turning off O/D, you won't hurt anything, including your fuel mileage, around town staying under 50 MPH. If anything, you'll probably put less strain on the engine by not lugging at low speeds and less wear from not hunting in and out of 5th gear.

My g/f has an '06 V6 auto. Do you know where this support bar is/was?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:41 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

im not techy or knowledgeable at all but the whole vibration thing doesnt happen on my '07 v6
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM
raimjob2@hotmail.com

Update:

I took the car for a transmission fluid change hoping that the new fluid would correct the issue; the new fluid reduced the vibration but the car started to leak fluid; I took the car to the dealer and they told me that it was residual fluid left on the car; the services rep assured me that they cleaned the car.

Two days latter; the car kept leaking so I tock it to the dealer again; the service guy took my car back and few minutes later, he came to the front and told me that the transmission pump was malfunctioning; he asked me to take a look at the car while it was on the jack stands; and indeed the car was not leaking from where they drain the transmission; instead the leak of transmission fluid seem to come a bit ahead of the oil pan; The service guy also question me if the car was doing something weird; so I went ahead and described what my car was doing: the vibration at 50 miles/h; the clunking noise while climbing a slight hill. I also told him that the previous manager (this was a new guy; the dealer even inform me of that on a letter) said that that was not normal like the other guy claimed.
Long story short; the ford guy says that it is under warranty so I don't have to pay a dime (lets see if that holds until monday) my car won't be ready until monday so my garage is empty this weekend
I'm just hope the transmission is not messed up since this problem started the week a got the car and is been 2 years since then.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:39 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Well, I'm glad it looks like you've got some sort of resolution to this (knock on wood). Whenever I ask someone a tech question in a field I know nothing about, my follow up question is always "So, how long have you been with insert company here?" just to make sure the person I'm talking to has some sort of experience in the matter and isn't trying to BS me. There's always someone out there trying to sell you something/convince you of a problem/convince you there's not a problem just to improve their bottom line.

Lucky for you, it seems you found someone a little less green than the new guy. That fluid change may have been the best decision you made all week!

Quick Reply: 2008 v6 auto transmission concerns