Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

To Supercharge or not to supercharge and other questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 01:11 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default To Supercharge or not to supercharge and other questions?

Hey Guys, I drive a 2009 v6, and I seek guidance

Questions-

1. Why opt for an Xcharger (roughly 6k for the ex version) when there are crate engines out there for a little more that will get dbl the hp/tq gain? I recognize im a technical idiot but why not just drop a 5.0 crate engine in instead?

2. If I DID go for an xcharger, can you still do other induction upgrades? IE a 70mm throttle body and a throttle body spacer?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-70...ttle-body.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...tb-spacer.html

3. Are Shorty Headers worth the dough?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-2005-v6-header.html

4. Electrical upgrades (IE plugs coils etc) do they actually improve performance or are they just a higher quality part?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ngk-ir...kplugs-v6.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/taylor...es-0509v6.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/demon-...ck-0510v6.html

5. Is the SCT Livewire tuner http://www.americanmuscle.com/demon-...ck-0510v6.html worth the extra $200 over the SCT SF3 http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...r-0510v6.html? I like the idea of the telemetry and other statistics, as well as mounting the livewire on my dash.

That exausts my questions for the morning. Fire Away!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

First off, an engine transplant is going to end up costing you far more than a supercharger because of everything else require - transmission - PCM - just about everything. And in the end it still won't work 100% right.

The X Charger replaces your throttle body from what I've read. A 70mm isn't necessary. However, an 8.8 rear end is a GREAT idea. For that you'll need an 03/04 Cobra pinion flange. The rear end and flange, if you're going used, will cost you about 300 bucks. Or less, varying on where you pull it from.

Oh, do your research and make sure the X-Charger is the right one for you. I hear a lot of good about both Vortech and X-Charger. I'm still not sure which one I'm going to do.

From what I know, the headers are worth it, but make sure you do your research to find out which ones are best for you. I'd go long tube if you can find a good set.

All tuners work the same essentially, but some have extra features. If all you want to do is tune the PCM, the SF3 is fine. Thats what I went with.

Last edited by Young_Gun; 06-04-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:37 PM
JimC

The Xcharger doesn't replace the throttle body, just relocates it:

And DON'T WASTE your money on the throttle body spacer unless you are (1) looking for a new paperweight or (2) looking to move the throttle body out further for some reason. On the new Xcharger the air intake has been changed to a metal one so you don't have the tight fit on the oil cap like mine.

As far as the BBK throttle body, you are better off getting a stock one with a port and polish from Jerry Stranigan. You won't run into the issues that others have had with getting the BBK to work and it is a LOT cheaper. I don't know if it made a difference or not because I haven't had a chance to really give it a test due to breaking the rear end on my car (yes, broke the 8.8 on mine, the spider gears went due to the torque, although there was always a noise in this rear end so it may have just been there waiting to fail).

Stock throttle body left and Jerry's port and polished on the right:

stock top and PNP on the bottom

With the Xcharger kit you get new spark plugs - you have to go to a colder plug with the blower. You don't have to spend a bunch on spark plugs, and in fact those iridium have been causing problems. I run the NGK TR6 plugs for about $2 each and they are perfect. I also run the stock spark plug wires and haven't had any problems - the only time I had a problem was with the aftermarket wires and I went back to the stock ones.

No need for the coil pack to change, the stock one gives plenty of spark and the Screaming Demon and others have been giving some people problems.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:44 PM
JimC

And as far as why get the Xcharger Xtreme as opposed to a V8 transplant? One point has already been made, it is more than just pull one engine and slap another one in its place so overall you will likely spend more unless you can do all the work yourself.

The other reason is you have something unique - my car is at a shop right now getting the rear end replaced (could have done it myself but it was already there having the rear end noise checked and easier to have them take care of it rather than put it on jack stands and try to muscle the rear ends around on my back). The owner of the shop and his brother were talking about their Fox bodies they are working on. He said that his Fox runs high 11's right now and then said "with your supercharged V8 you are probably a lot quicker" - so I told him, "you haven't looked under the hood - that's a V6 and runs mid 12's currently, and will be going in for some custom tuning this summer" He said he was shocked, amazed, and didn't feel so good about his 11's now! His brother, who has been working on the car, said that he couldn't get over it when he opened the hood.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:08 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
And as far as why get the Xcharger Xtreme as opposed to a V8 transplant? One point has already been made, it is more than just pull one engine and slap another one in its place so overall you will likely spend more unless you can do all the work yourself.

The other reason is you have something unique - my car is at a shop right now getting the rear end replaced (could have done it myself but it was already there having the rear end noise checked and easier to have them take care of it rather than put it on jack stands and try to muscle the rear ends around on my back). The owner of the shop and his brother were talking about their Fox bodies they are working on. He said that his Fox runs high 11's right now and then said "with your supercharged V8 you are probably a lot quicker" - so I told him, "you haven't looked under the hood - that's a V6 and runs mid 12's currently, and will be going in for some custom tuning this summer" He said he was shocked, amazed, and didn't feel so good about his 11's now! His brother, who has been working on the car, said that he couldn't get over it when he opened the hood.
Hit it right on the head Jim,. which is why I chose to go supercharger over V8 swap!
Old 06-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Hell, the parts alone will be more expensive
Old 06-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
1. Why opt for an Xcharger (roughly 6k for the ex version) when there are crate engines out there for a little more that will get dbl the hp/tq gain? I recognize im a technical idiot but why not just drop a 5.0 crate engine in instead?
Here is a link to a guy that did the first 5.0 crate swap and this was not setup to work with any of the dash instruments or anything else as far as that is concerned. Just racing only pretty much. Just a heads up to what it would take too go too a motor that was not already made for your car such as a 4.6 3V swap which is not too crazy too do but is quite involved and requires a lot more than just the motor.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49889