MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.0L V6 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions-66/)
-   -   curious question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions/643018-curious-question.html)

Ares05 05-26-2011 02:56 PM

curious question

I have driven a manual only about 2 times haha, my v6 is an auto. I was just wondering because I have been told by several people that if you have a manual as a daily driver you will replace the clutch about every 2 or so years. I thought this sounded odd and figured the only way that was possible is if you were riding the clutch and tearing it up. Any insight on this would be nice, just curious! (please don't comment if you are going to bash on my knowledge or lack there of, I don't drive a manual so I have no clue)

conejo172 05-26-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ares05 (Post 7559746)
I have driven a manual only about 2 times haha, my v6 is an auto. I was just wondering because I have been told by several people that if you have a manual as a daily driver you will replace the clutch about every 2 or so years. I thought this sounded odd and figured the only way that was possible is if you were riding the clutch and tearing it up. Any insight on this would be nice, just curious! (please don't comment if you are going to bash on my knowledge or lack there of, I don't drive a manual so I have no clue)

You are correct! I would be distraught if that were the case.

Ares05 05-26-2011 05:11 PM

how many times have you had to replace yours?

MustangFirstCar 05-26-2011 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ares05 (Post 7559886)
how many times have you had to replace yours?

His is only about a year and a half old so I would guess none.

Ares05 05-26-2011 08:53 PM

very true lol probably should have looked at that, but if anyone has ever owned a manual for at least 4 or more years does not have to be a mustang, would they tell me how many times they had to replace the clutch please

obxdude018 05-26-2011 09:30 PM

It all depends how you work with the clutch, if you clutch dump, ride the clutch, downshift alot, use it to brake, then yes it won't last long, but if you take care of it, then you can get easily 5+ years with it(depending on how many miles you use the car), my last car was 17 years old and had the original clutch, I only replaced the clutch when the motor blew and decided to go with a spec 3 clutch.

Ares05 05-26-2011 09:35 PM

thanks obxdude018, I figured there is no way that could be right. That would suck ass haha if you had to replace one that much. I assume it also would have to do with the quality of the clutch but yeah probably would be ok

JCON 05-26-2011 10:30 PM

My first car had the same clutch for 7 years until i got rid of it at 120k miles but I didn't down shift a lot, i didn't use it to brake, and I didn't dump it.

Ares05 05-27-2011 12:34 AM

yeah, for my second car I want to get a manual, dosent seem like a hard concept to grasp just some getting used to. will be fun!

kevinmalec 05-27-2011 09:02 AM

I've been driving manual vehicles for a long time and haven't had any major issues. I had my clutch replaced on my Ford Explorer sport a little over 80K miles. My wife recently had her clutch replaced on her VW with 129K miles. BTW, replacing a clutch is less expensive than repairing or replacing an auto transmission.