MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.0L V6 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions-66/)
-   -   GT muffle, aftermarket axelback or dual exhaust for 4.0? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions/643967-gt-muffle-aftermarket-axelback-or-dual-exhaust-for-4-0-a.html)

numb1zero 06-05-2011 04:50 PM

GT muffle, aftermarket axelback or dual exhaust for 4.0?

hey guys,
I've got a v6 pony and I'm looking to do something with my exhaust and I'm debating between a few options.

GT takeoff muffler (single)-----------about $50
Aftermarket axleback (single)------- about $175
Aftermarket catback (dual)----------about $600

There's obviously a huge price difference between single and dual and even between gt stock and aftermarket and based on my limited mustang knowledge base, there isn't much power to be gained either way from the exhaust side. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, I usually am)
I'm definitely interested in looks/sound but they aren't really what's important to me.
What would you guys suggest I do to get the best power/cost ratio?
Are duals worth the expense? Is a borla or magnaflow muffler gonna be any better than a GT stock part?

Thanks in advance for any opinions and input :icon_lol:

67stangr 06-05-2011 07:20 PM

Im planning on duel take off 5spd mufflers on my 4.0. the mufflers from a 5spd are more less restrictive and have a better tone, so i was told.

MadStang40 06-05-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by numb1zero (Post 7571941)
I'm definitely interested in looks/sound but they aren't really what's important to me.
What would you guys suggest I do to get the best power/cost ratio?
Are duals worth the expense? Is a borla or magnaflow muffler gonna be any better than a GT stock part?

That right there tells me that a cat back exhaust is not right for you.

I've got true dual cat back with flowmasters that set me back 500, installation included. With the information you've given me, I'd go with any axleback you think is best. Some prefer magnaflows, some prefer GT takeoffs, but my taste lead me to a decision between flowmasters and borla.

There's not much power to be gained, even on the cat-back option. I'll make a bold estimate saying that I may have net 7hp from the install.

conejo172 06-06-2011 03:46 PM

Check out the dual exhaust kit from NewTakeOff.com $319 + Shipping. I have it on mine (2010 Kit, they no longer sell) but 2005-2009 v6 kits they do. You will not be dissapointed.

I wouldn't waste my money on a single axle back.

07 Stang 06-06-2011 04:46 PM

I got my dual set up from www.V6Mustangstuff.com. At the time, Ford didn't offer their kit....if they had, I would have gotten it. However, I am satisfied with my Pypes X-Pipe, mid Pipe and two GT mufflers. My next thing would be to switch out the GT mufflers for Borlas or Corsa.

Here's a link to the page for the exhaust kit;

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/products.asp?cat=47

numb1zero 06-06-2011 06:02 PM

i had a feeling that's the answer i'd get, madstang. Seems like the duals are more for looks. The single exhaust outlet does seem to attract haters "Oh that's not even a v8!" and such. I'll admit they do have a pretty serious cool factor. Thanks for your input madstang your ride is pretty awesome from what I can tell.
Does anyone have any dyno numbers from gt takeoff mufflers or from any specific aftermarket axleback mufflers?

MadStang40 06-06-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by numb1zero (Post 7573143)
i had a feeling that's the answer i'd get, madstang. Seems like the duals are more for looks. The single exhaust outlet does seem to attract haters "Oh that's not even a v8!" and such. I'll admit they do have a pretty serious cool factor. Thanks for your input madstang your ride is pretty awesome from what I can tell.
Does anyone have any dyno numbers from gt takeoff mufflers or from any specific aftermarket axleback mufflers?

Thanks for the compliment, numb1. I don't have dyno numbers, but I'm sure a few people here have. As far as exhaust goes, go with what makes you happy. If you think the duals are worth the money then go for it. I did and couldn't be happier with my choice. And definitely keep looking around. A local shop will be sure to have a great deal. Usually better than the big chains...

turbo 2.8 06-06-2011 09:03 PM

the pypes x pipe is good , however the clamps and mid pipes are junk, steer clear

Mr. Ugly 06-06-2011 10:29 PM

Single GT muffler is all you need for performance. A single doesn't begin to limit power until you get a supercharger. Duals look better, but add extra weight.

7gtthrilla 06-06-2011 10:32 PM

I would definitely try to find a dual exhaust along with an x pipe. Not only will it look better. but also sound better too. Good luck man