Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Wet-X

Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default Wet-X

Hey guys,

So last night being the insomniac I was I decided to skim the xcharger thread... and boy do I want one! Just one thing that I dont understand is this Wet-X system tho. What does it do and how does it function? (I get what everything else physically does and the fact that I dont get this one makes me leery of it) and is it a necessary/recommended upgrade with the intercooled XCharger Xtreme? Can it be installed after the X? Please, enlighten me!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:13 PM
JimC

Do you need - or is it recommended - to use the Wet-X with the Xtreme? No - the Xtreme gives you the cooling already.

The Wet-X is a way to cool the intake charge. You get almost the same effect as with the Xtreme intercooler but there are some differences. It puts a mist of water and meth into the intake air to cool it and the meth also adds some to the octane according to some. The cooler air allows your tuner to be more aggressive.

You have to make sure that the tank is filled of course to use it, and it has to flow at the right rate and at the right time - sort of like nitrous where you have to be sure to fill the bottle. It also will take some of the coating off the rotors, and on another system a meth kit on a roots blower not only took the coating off, it pitted the rotors as well. I haven't seen anything that bad on an Xcharger though.

The Xtreme you don't need the wet kit because you already have the cooling and can tune for it. The advantage to the Xtreme is it is always there and ready for use - no bottle to fill and no worries about it running out and the car going lean or the meth flowing too much or too little. The disadvantge is the cost - but it was well worth it in my opinion.

You can install the Wet-X afterwards but you have to be able to put the fitting in the intake. It sprays the water/meth mixture in after the throttle body and before the rotors.

You can also install the Xtreme after installing the non-intercooled system. you just have to do some more unbolting because the intercooler "radiator" goes between the blower and the lower intake. You also have to do the heat exchanger mounting which requires you to remove the front bumper - but you'd have to do that whenever you install the Xtreme (you don't have to remove it for the base non-intercooled system).
Old 06-08-2011, 03:45 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Do you need - or is it recommended - to use the Wet-X with the Xtreme? No - the Xtreme gives you the cooling already.

The Wet-X is a way to cool the intake charge. You get almost the same effect as with the Xtreme intercooler but there are some differences. It puts a mist of water and meth into the intake air to cool it and the meth also adds some to the octane according to some. The cooler air allows your tuner to be more aggressive.

You have to make sure that the tank is filled of course to use it, and it has to flow at the right rate and at the right time - sort of like nitrous where you have to be sure to fill the bottle. It also will take some of the coating off the rotors, and on another system a meth kit on a roots blower not only took the coating off, it pitted the rotors as well. I haven't seen anything that bad on an Xcharger though.

The Xtreme you don't need the wet kit because you already have the cooling and can tune for it. The advantage to the Xtreme is it is always there and ready for use - no bottle to fill and no worries about it running out and the car going lean or the meth flowing too much or too little. The disadvantge is the cost - but it was well worth it in my opinion.

You can install the Wet-X afterwards but you have to be able to put the fitting in the intake. It sprays the water/meth mixture in after the throttle body and before the rotors.

You can also install the Xtreme after installing the non-intercooled system. you just have to do some more unbolting because the intercooler "radiator" goes between the blower and the lower intake. You also have to do the heat exchanger mounting which requires you to remove the front bumper - but you'd have to do that whenever you install the Xtreme (you don't have to remove it for the base non-intercooled system).

Nice breakdown Jim! Good read.