Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Cervinis hood questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:11 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default Cervinis hood questions

Hey guys-

So Ive finally managed to wipe the **** eating grin off my face and get back to work after getting my baby back and getting some things done (Cervinis type iv hood w extractors, saleen short throw, RP Synchromax tranny fluid, boomtube exhaust on the way)

Anyways. The body shop put the drip pans under the heat extractors on (Buzzkill). I want to take em off (Get the hot air out!) but I also do not want water damage to my engine inthe event of rain (which would be a bigger buzzkill). Im wondering if there might be a snap on plastic cover for the extractors (left the black plastic unpainted, paint chipping isnt an issue) that I can throw on if the weather turns?

Is it a requirement to get mesh backstop for the scoop inlets? If so, where/ how do I get my hands on some?

Also, since I have the hood, is the ram air kit worth it? Id imagine that, w a K&N or Steeda high flow filter for the factory airbox, some heat shielding and a tune, might prove to be a very powerfull induction setup. I mean, in terms of scoop size, the type iv is monstrous. My other question being that in the future if I go for an XCharger and like that induction setup, can I keep it or would I HAVE to go with the Explorer Express Cold Air kit that comes with the X? Or, is there away to seal the area around a CAI and still utilize a functional ram air kit?

Thoughts welcomed gentlemen!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

The ram air kit isn't going to do much for your performance.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:13 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I am aware that the performance gains from ram air alone are negligible. So I guess what I'm really wondering is if there is a CAI kit (W tune obvi) that could theoretically interface with the ram air kit and if that setup (CAI instead of a stock filter being fed by ram air) might have some more oomph than a standard CAI setup. If for no other reason than air induction would be exclusively from air outside the engine compartment, pressure from speed aside.

I mean for some of these tube/ cone style filters, couldnt a CAI be installed and then be enclosed by a larger pipe interfacing w the ram air port?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Blah, blah, blah, technical stuff.

Where are the pictures?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:00 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

+1 on pics

I don't believe there is anything like you described currently on the market. You could probably make it, but I don't know whether it would create any performance gains.

I guess the closest thing I've found to what you're looking for would be this.
http://www.mossmuscle.com/Shop/ViewP...eIndexID=52843
Old 07-09-2011, 12:02 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

All I have to say: Whoa, I want it!

Looks to be cheaper and specifically made for the V6 and offered w a SCT tuner from WMS direct. Would be about 379.90 pre shipping. I imagine it wouldnt be too hard to cut aluminum panels to make it a flush fit with the top of the cervini hood and add some rubber gaskets to form a seal. Add a tuner and prolly get a dynotune bc idk how much experience the brenspeed or bama boys would have with this... Thank you sir, this is the reason I joined the forum.

The only downside I see is that the system may need to be nixed if I ever bought an X. from the pics, it looks like there MIGHT be enough room to run the serpentine belt behind the box and have a custom intake tube installed.

Ill get you pics ASAP
Old 07-09-2011, 12:38 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I elected to leave the extractors charcoal black which was the natural colorof the plastic

The car in the background is my dads 2008 Saleen S281 SC, 101/500
Old 07-09-2011, 01:12 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Whoa! That's a sweet garage you guys have there. Loving that hood.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:01 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

A few notes on the hood for anyone considering buying-

Hood came w great quality, required minimal prep. the bodyshop was impressed.

Cervinis wiper fluid nozzles are functional, but not great. Just shoot jets of fluid and dont really spread it over the glass. that having been said i like not looking at the pimply factory pieces

Ive had it up to 100, no hood float, so no need for hood pins

The hood has a 2.5 inch rise. You will have to learn to park all over again, and some of your sightlines get messed up.

Hood is much heavier than the stock peice. I like the feeling of more weight over the front axle. The front end does not pop up as much under hard acceleration.

You will hear better engine sounds courtesy of the intake openings

The rear heat extractors are non functional unless you uninstall the drip pans, in which case if it rains you will soak your battery (Located directly beneath the pass side extractor) They are also a cheap looking plastic. I left mine unpainted (the black does pop on the red) but given the opportunity I will probably have them painted flat black so swirl marks and the like from molding are not visible.

The tip of the hood is much longer than the stock piece. See pic #1. It does give a more agressive look with the hood hanging down over the grill like a snarl, but it also looks clearly aftermarket whereas I tend to prefer a near stock look.

Summary: the hood is great and worth the money, especially if you hacve an accident and decide to upgrade like I did. Be prepared to pay shipping. The hood itself is high quality, though the wiper fluid squirters and the extractors are poor quality imo
Old 07-09-2011, 04:28 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If you orient the squirters properly, you'll get enough efficiency out of them (at least that's my experience).
I've been installing a few of those Cervinis and everything was great so far, including the extractor vents.
Two piece design and the insert is made out of pot metal, good quality if you ask me.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...pt-wheels.html

Quick Reply: Cervinis hood questions