Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.55, 3.73, or 4.10???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:21 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10???

Hey guys-

Debating between 3.55 3.73 or 4.10 gears. I want to do the gears in conjunction with an 8.8" upgrade, but I cant find the 3.73 assembly (Which ive read is best for my manual) anywhere. So unless anyone has a lead on the 3.73, the choice is between 4.10s and 3.55s.

As far as the 4.10s go, Ive heard great things about their ability to put down torque. Im not a track guy or obsessed w 1/4 mile times. Whats important to me is neck snapping acceleration. In the words of my father, "Breaking the speed limit is a crime, but getting there in a hurry isnt." Which im told the 4.10s, combined with a future Xcharger, can do. I will accept decreased fuel economy (Reasonably, I do 2 1000-1500 mile road trips annually) and lower top end. I currently have a car calculated average MPG of 21.3, I can deal with anything down to about 15 MPG. Looking for wisdom and advice on that one.

What does concern me is the short gears reported with the 4.10s. At what speed does first gear hit the rev limiter? And how big a problem is this? Sufficed to say when the T5 fails (I dont plan to sell the car. Ever.) I will most likely upgrade to a t3650 or t6060. Thoughts welcomed.

From what ive read, the 3.55 doesnt have problems w short gears and gets near stock MPGs. What im debating with this setup whether the smaller acceleration benefit justifies dropping 900-1000. For a large but manageable increase, its worth it to me. But If the performance gain would be negligible, I wouldnt want to spend the dough unless I was getting an X too, and sufficed to say I have nowhere near the cash for that
Old 07-21-2011, 03:47 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

4.10'a are going to give you a bigger smile on your face when you talk performance.
PERIOD.

ESPECIALLY compared to 3.55's. MPG loss is a joke. As long as you know how to drive her you wont lose but 1-3MPG.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 AM
JimC

With the Xcharger the torque curve starts out very high and stays there - 4.10's will make first gear pretty much useless.

PM me, I may be able to get you an 8.8 with 3.73's
Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Don't even bother with anything other then 4.10s.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

If you're grabbing an X down the road, like JimC said, first gear would definitely be useless. Get used to pulling away from stop lights in 2nd gear now...

The 3.55s are hardly a step up from your stock 3.31's so I think the 3.73s would be perfect for you. You've got a manual transmission, make two long trips a year, and aren't too worried about gas consumption dwindling. I'll be taking the same route.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:23 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

hell my first gear is useless now with the 3.31's ! but back to the question , its hard to answer because your not a track guy , and you dont want to break the speed limit , soooo not sure when the gears would come into play . especially if you plan on getting an x , where all the neck snapping torque is instant
Old 07-21-2011, 03:25 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

To answer various questions- Ive more or less had speeding beaten out of my system. So I get my kicks by getting to the speed limit as fast as possible. Once I get to the limit, ill stay within 5 (in special circumstances 10) MPH of the limit. I also love roasting an import off the line. But if he wants to carry on past the limit, he can take that speeding ticket for me.

With regards to track stuff, the San Diego BMW club has 1 track event a month at QUALCOMM stadium. Not a drag strip, more of a pure road course. Ive gone and watched a couple times, but not only am I afraid of hurting the car (Sliding into a lightpole would suck) I dont want to get embarassed by the M3s and Corvettes that seem to dominate the track. I love to drive my car and drive her hard, but I dont think im qualified enough to try a track like that.

@Jim, PM sent
Old 07-21-2011, 04:33 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
To answer various questions- Ive more or less had speeding beaten out of my system. So I get my kicks by getting to the speed limit as fast as possible. Once I get to the limit, ill stay within 5 (in special circumstances 10) MPH of the limit. I also love roasting an import off the line. But if he wants to carry on past the limit, he can take that speeding ticket for me.

With regards to track stuff, the San Diego BMW club has 1 track event a month at QUALCOMM stadium. Not a drag strip, more of a pure road course. Ive gone and watched a couple times, but not only am I afraid of hurting the car (Sliding into a lightpole would suck) I dont want to get embarassed by the M3s and Corvettes that seem to dominate the track. I love to drive my car and drive her hard, but I dont think im qualified enough to try a track like that.

@Jim, PM sent
you can still get a ticket from "getting to the speed limit as fast as possible" its called Exhibition of Speed. just thought I'd let you know
Old 07-21-2011, 04:40 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I know, although i think (not thoroughly researched) You have to break the wheels loose or have a competitor. At least where I live. Idk for certain but thats what ive been told. And im carefull about that 1, 12 point ticket XD
Old 09-12-2011, 08:47 PM
injen07
1st Gear Member

My gears should hopefully be arriving by this Friday and having them installed the next day. Will the gears help in acceleration in all gears, or just the first 3? Either way, should be happy with them as everyone's been saying it puts a smile on their face when they punch it. Btw, I got a Ford Racing tlok ordered as well, but previous mechanics were telling me not too because you still won't have 2 wheel drive? What's this about?
Thanks

Quick Reply: 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10???