Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Anybody have rattles with the charcoal canister?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Nickboxer7

Default Anybody have rattles with the charcoal canister?

The charcoal canister under my trunk, where the fuel fumes go or whatever the purpose is, rattles like no other. I tried to take it off to see what inside was rattling but one of the back two studded screws just spins now. I can't get it off.

So my question is, does anybody else have rattles from this thing after you changed exhausts?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Do you have a pic of it? I've had my fair share of rattles back there. Might be able to help if you have a pic of what the charcoal canister is.

I know between the mufflers, there's like a black flat box that screws to the body, and inside it is something or another. Is that what you're talking about? I once got a rock stuck up in there (from the holes in the bottom of it) and had to fish it out.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
Do you have a pic of it? I've had my fair share of rattles back there. Might be able to help if you have a pic of what the charcoal canister is.

I know between the mufflers, there's like a black flat box that screws to the body, and inside it is something or another. Is that what you're talking about? I once got a rock stuck up in there (from the holes in the bottom of it) and had to fish it out.
Lol thats the only thing I can think of that he is talking about...
Old 09-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Nickboxer7

Originally Posted by Biceps

I did have a picture but I can't find it now. Yeah, it's a black box under the trunk, between the mufflers. There are a couple of lines that run into it, and I'm pretty sure it's the fuel vapor box that has a charcoal filter in it. I've heard it called so many things.

So how did you know there was a rock in it?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Nickboxer7

I take that back, I found some pics.

http://www.ratstangrestoration.com/05_mustang_tank.htm
Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nickboxer7
I take that back, I found some pics.

http://www.ratstangrestoration.com/05_mustang_tank.htm
Interesting and good link! I can't say mine has ever rattled!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Nickboxer7

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Interesting and good link! I can't say mine has ever rattled!
I thought it was just my exhaust rattling, but I came down to that thing. If I tap it you can hear it. Something inside is vibrating against the cover, so I would like to put some kind of dynamat or something in there to create a barrier. But that back stud is just freely spinning with the nut, and the way it's designed I cannot get anything to keep it from spinning.

I guess I could just cut it off because the other three I got free, but I don't know how I would get that corner to stay after that. I'm not sure if this makes sense at all. I was really hoping somebody had taken this off before.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nickboxer7
I thought it was just my exhaust rattling, but I came down to that thing. If I tap it you can hear it. Something inside is vibrating against the cover, so I would like to put some kind of dynamat or something in there to create a barrier. But that back stud is just freely spinning with the nut, and the way it's designed I cannot get anything to keep it from spinning.

I guess I could just cut it off because the other three I got free, but I don't know how I would get that corner to stay after that. I'm not sure if this makes sense at all. I was really hoping somebody had taken this off before.
No it makes complete sense about that bolt not coming out, and I understand what you are saying haha. I would cut it off as well and if anything find a way to tie wrap it back, I'm sure it won't be difficult to come up with something that will re-secure it.