Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

X-charger benefit with new exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

I have a question. I figure some guys on here installed the supercharger themselves. but if you were going to pay a shop to do it how much would it cost? sorry off-topic
Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

well adding a aftermarket exhust will surely help as with a FI ure putting more air in the motor soo with a better exhuast letting more air out will surely be beneficial....however, dont expect to see a change in your exhuast to fill the "power difference" bc it probably wont..... clearly a better mod for what ure looking for maybe gears or just run more boost if thats a option......

generally shop costs for a FI setup is between 1-2 grand but u can find it cheaper and more expensive at different places
Old 10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
JimC

Running more boost isn't really an optioin on the MP90 blower. You run into problems with the efficiency of the blower and once you spin it up to max (with the 2.6" pulley on the Xtreme) it doesn't do any good to spin it faster - no more boost to be had.

Even then, if you do up the boost, you still have to get it out of the engine. So at some point the single exhaust on F/I can start to act like a cork limiting the system.

And as already stated, and documented at the Collective, when they did the group install last year the one guy with a single exhaust put up the smallest numbers on the dyno. Once he put the dual exhaust on - the only change he made - that same dyno showed an increase in power and torque.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

thinking about an xcharger as a possible mod in a year or so, any complications to be had with this set up?
Old 10-06-2011, 03:31 PM
JimC

The Xcharger is very easy to install - if you go with the Xtreme it is just a little more involved because you have to remove the front bumper to put the heat exchanger in place, but it can all be done in a day, in your driveway.

Just lay everything out in order (good to do anyway to make sure you have everything and to identify everything so you aren't searching for it trying to figure out what it looks like or where it is in the pile of parts). The installation manual is very detailed and all you have to do is follow the steps. I don't know if Dave added all of the suggestions that several of us gave him for the manual. One of my suggestions was that after you get the injectors in place and the fuel rail hooked up - turn the key on so you pressurize the system to check for leaks before continuing. Had one leaking injector because I scraped an "O" ring (didn't put the new one on - my mistake) but discovered it after completing the install.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:48 PM
shelbyeuropa

Looks like I'm having to safe some money for the duals.
I don't care so much about the extra power as I really don't need it, if I want some power I'll take my Syclone for a spin
It's just the thought of having hidden power that is quite easy to get.
Does anyone has pics of the GT take offs installed on their V6?
If I'm changing the exhaust system I might get headers as well.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:23 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Running more boost isn't really an optioin on the MP90 blower. You run into problems with the efficiency of the blower and once you spin it up to max (with the 2.6" pulley on the Xtreme) it doesn't do any good to spin it faster - no more boost to be had.

Even then, if you do up the boost, you still have to get it out of the engine. So at some point the single exhaust on F/I can start to act like a cork limiting the system.

And as already stated, and documented at the Collective, when they did the group install last year the one guy with a single exhaust put up the smallest numbers on the dyno. Once he put the dual exhaust on - the only change he made - that same dyno showed an increase in power and torque.
hmmm maybe the x charger works better with duels cause it has instant boost , where as the Vortech builds boost progressively , Justin at VMP also documented that duels on Rebecca's car netted zero gains , his thinking was the cats were the restrictive piece.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:38 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by shelbyeuropa
Looks like I'm having to safe some money for the duals.
I don't care so much about the extra power as I really don't need it, if I want some power I'll take my Syclone for a spin
It's just the thought of having hidden power that is quite easy to get.
Does anyone has pics of the GT take offs installed on their V6?
If I'm changing the exhaust system I might get headers as well.
Here's mine when I had the GT take off and X pipe set up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u0VGSDN_uc

And the current set up, GTB (Bullitt) mufflers and X pipe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvL9Izt1QMc

It's very easy to install dual on the V6 - the only thing you need is either an H or X pipe to replace the Y when you cut it out, a driver side mid pipe, the hangers for the driver side muffler, and cut the opening in the driver side of the bumper. Only reason I put the GT bumper on is because I was rear ended on the highway and it was cheaper for me to swap bumpers than it was to have a new bumper painted and cut - and that way the other guy paid for my paint job on the stripes.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to ask the retard question of the day

but where can you find the drivers side over axle pipe?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:57 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
Sorry to ask the retard question of the day

but where can you find the drivers side over axle pipe?
here is an option for ya : http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Quick Reply: X-charger benefit with new exhaust?