Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

X-charger benefit with new exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:28 PM
shelbyeuropa

Default X-charger benefit with new exhaust?

I recently added a x-charger to my otherwise stock 07 vert. I really love the extra power but I think there should be more in it. It looks like the stock exhaust is holding it back. At full power it sounds like a loud vacuum cleaner. Will a (double) exhaust upgrade give me more power? I don't want the car to be loud and the only exhaust I like are the stock gt tails. What options do I have and is there the extra power I'm hoping for?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 PM
JimC

Dual exhaust should free up some HP with any FI system. I know of one other X that found that the single exhaust was holding him back.

The GT take off will give you the extra flow you want without the car being extremely loud and it won't drone either.

Welcome to the ranks of the Xmen! And you will really enjoy the scream of the Xcharger at wide open throttle - no need for a loud exhaust, why hide that nice sound of the blower.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shelbyeuropa
. At full power it sounds like a loud vacuum cleaner.
lol..
Old 10-04-2011, 05:44 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shelbyeuropa
I recently added a x-charger to my otherwise stock 07 vert. I really love the extra power but I think there should be more in it. It looks like the stock exhaust is holding it back. At full power it sounds like a loud vacuum cleaner. Will a (double) exhaust upgrade give me more power? I don't want the car to be loud and the only exhaust I like are the stock gt tails. What options do I have and is there the extra power I'm hoping for?
duels will give you very little power over the stock one pipe set up , I saw no difference at the track with either m.p.h. or time . and Im pushing 13#s
Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
duels will give you very little power over the stock one pipe set up , I saw no difference at the track with either m.p.h. or time . and Im pushing 13#s
Interesting... :-/
Old 10-05-2011, 02:53 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
Really? When I got my single converted to duals I felt like I made more power up top... And my last dyno after the duals was only 342rwhp but that was in 85 degree weather and after an hour long drive.... I would say 350rwhp range now in similar temps that it made 347rwhp (60 degrees or so) with single exhaust. Now with N/A cars I doubt it makes much of a difference if at all.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 PM
JimC

One of the guys in California who did the Xtreme install party was a single exhaust. The put him on the dyno right after the install to get some baseline numbers. He then went back with the dual exhaust and his dyno numbers went up. Seems to support that with F/I you get some more power with dual over single exhaust - lets the system breathe easier.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Really? When I got my single converted to duals I felt like I made more power up top... And my last dyno after the duals was only 342rwhp but that was in 85 degree weather and after an hour long drive.... I would say 350rwhp range now in similar temps that it made 347rwhp (60 degrees or so) with single exhaust. Now with N/A cars I doubt it makes much of a difference if at all.
lol yeah the seat of your pants dyno usually registers higher then the actual dyno !, I would love to see a before and after , only thing I can go on is track stats . For me nothing changed in performance . having said that , I'm glad I went duels not only does it sound better , but it looks sooo much better
Old 10-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
One of the guys in California who did the Xtreme install party was a single exhaust. The put him on the dyno right after the install to get some baseline numbers. He then went back with the dual exhaust and his dyno numbers went up. Seems to support that with F/I you get some more power with dual over single exhaust - lets the system breathe easier.
What Jim said.

And also, that guy's dyno numbers were lower than the other cars there until he upgraded to duals.

All documented on Mustang Collective.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:15 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly
What Jim said.

And also, that guy's dyno numbers were lower than the other cars there until he upgraded to duals.

All documented on Mustang Collective.
I have no doubts you can gain some power , but don't get duels thinking your gonna gain a couple of tenths or mph . clearly its more of a visual and sound enhancement

Quick Reply: X-charger benefit with new exhaust?