Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Do Transponder Keys go bad? PATS system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:54 PM
RemoGaggi

Default Do Transponder Keys go bad? PATS system?

I posted a question yesterday regarding the intermittent starting problem we're having with our 2006 6cyl. Mustang (88K miles). I tested the alternator and battery and they are both good. When the car doesn't start, it doesn't crank at all. However, when it does start, it fires right up. This has been going on for months, so I don't think the starter is bad, since if it was the starter, it would just quit after awhile, right? Plus, we've only got 88K miles on it.

I'm starting to think it's the PATS system on the car that is interrupting the starter. I read online that the 2006 model has a starter interrupt on the PATS system.

I switched to our spare key and so far no problems, but it's only been a day. Are the transponder keys known for going bad?

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:32 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

I don't know exactly, but as we all know, anything and everything electronic (or with electronic components) will fail at some point for some reason.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Mattscoke

No. Generally those keys can't go bad.
One way to tell. If its the key, when it does a no start, then the "theft" light would be blinking rapidly.
It sounds like you have a faulty ignition switch.
Edit:
Another thing to look for. When it doesn't start, see if the radio turns off. On a normal start, all electronics turn off.If you have a bad ignition switch, then the radio won't turn off while the key is held in the start position like it's supposed to.

Last edited by Mattscoke; 10-24-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:48 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mattscoke
No. Generally those keys can't go bad.
Probably not likely, but I was just saying that anything with an electric component can fail at some point.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:46 PM
shroomer

Originally Posted by RemoGaggi
I posted a question yesterday regarding the intermittent starting problem we're having with our 2006 6cyl. Mustang (88K miles). I tested the alternator and battery and they are both good. When the car doesn't start, it doesn't crank at all. However, when it does start, it fires right up. This has been going on for months, so I don't think the starter is bad, since if it was the starter, it would just quit after awhile, right? Plus, we've only got 88K miles on it.

I'm starting to think it's the PATS system on the car that is interrupting the starter. I read online that the 2006 model has a starter interrupt on the PATS system.

I switched to our spare key and so far no problems, but it's only been a day. Are the transponder keys known for going bad?

Thanks.
I'm having the same exact problem with my Ford Explorer. Have you had any issues with the spare key? Have you found anything out yet?
Also, have you had any work done on your transmission? I ask that because I just had my transmission rebuilt and I am wondering whether or not that had anything to do with the car not starting. A Ford mechanic said that if the torque converter isn't attached properly, the ignition may have some issues.
My neighbor had a Camaro key go bad, so I know it is possible for the keys to go bad.
Anyways, I am just curious to see if you have found anything out yet.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The clutch pedal has a safety switch that has to be engaged for starting.
The automatic must be in park or neutral to start.
So yes, if non-cranking started after trans work, it is a possibility.

Otherwise refer to the other responses; a PATS-blocked start would have the key flashing on the instrument panel.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:09 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Could actually be the starter. My brother's F250 would pull that on him every so often then it would start. Turns out the starter had a bad area on the armature and it was not making a good enough connection. They replaced the starter and problem solved.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:01 AM
shroomer

I took my car to the Ford dealer to look at. They said that it could be that Aamco didn't install the torque converter properly and if that was the case then I should wiggle the gearshift when trying to start the car. So, about a week ago my key wouldn't work. So I wiggled the gearshift as I turned the key and it started right up.
I then went to Aamco and told them that they didn't install the torque converter properly. They denied that was the problem and are trying to tell me that it is the neutral safety switch.
Rrrrrriiiiggghhht.
The car doesn't start in drive. Therefore it isn't the neutral safety switch. Also, the transmission surges and bangs and slips.
In other words, stay away from Aamco. They have rebuilt the tranny twice and have just made it worse.
I also have reverse lights that no longer work, which also may be a reason why Aamco thinks that the problem is the neutral safety switch.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 AM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shroomer
I took my car to the Ford dealer to look at. They said that it could be that Aamco didn't install the torque converter properly and if that was the case then I should wiggle the gearshift when trying to start the car. So, about a week ago my key wouldn't work. So I wiggled the gearshift as I turned the key and it started right up.
I then went to Aamco and told them that they didn't install the torque converter properly. They denied that was the problem and are trying to tell me that it is the neutral safety switch.
Rrrrrriiiiggghhht.
The car doesn't start in drive. Therefore it isn't the neutral safety switch. Also, the transmission surges and bangs and slips.
In other words, stay away from Aamco. They have rebuilt the tranny twice and have just made it worse.
I also have reverse lights that no longer work, which also may be a reason why Aamco thinks that the problem is the neutral safety switch.
Document all of the information on AAmco as to who you spoke with, what they said and how they responded. Be as specific as possible. Take your vehicle to a couple of reputable mechanics and have them diagnose the problem. That way you have some proof to back up your claim. Submit a complaint to the Better Business Bureau on them and contact your local Attorney General's office to see if they have a consumer protection division. If so file a complaint with them. Have the car fixed by one of the reputable mechanics with complete list of what they found wrong and what they replaced. Take AAmco to small claims court with all the information you gathered and sue them for the money you paid them plus the cost to fix any other damages incurred by them that the current mechanic had to fix. Make sure in your suit you include the AAmco store owner, manager and worker that worked on your car.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 AM
McDirty
1st Gear Member

I have seen a pats key lose its programming on an explorer before. It had to be taken to the dealer. I can't remember how much they charged to reprogram it. I think around $100.

Quick Reply: Do Transponder Keys go bad? PATS system?