Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Clicking noise A/C switch behind cluster

Old 11-22-2011, 12:20 AM
RedDominion

Default Clicking noise A/C switch behind cluster

Whenever I move the A/C switch to regular or Max A/C I get a 2-3 second loud clicking noise that appears the be behind the instrument cluster. I believe this might be an actuator. My instrument cluster has also gone bad so I think maybe the two problems are related. The A/C and heat/cold work fine, just got the loud noise when moving the switch. Anyone have this issue or could steer me in the right direction with the part to replace?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:47 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedDominion
Whenever I move the A/C switch to regular or Max A/C I get a 2-3 second loud clicking noise that appears the be behind the instrument cluster. I believe this might be an actuator. My instrument cluster has also gone bad so I think maybe the two problems are related. The A/C and heat/cold work fine, just got the loud noise when moving the switch. Anyone have this issue or could steer me in the right direction with the part to replace?
It could be 2 things at once, I can tell you in 2005 the stepper motors that control the needles in the gauge cluster were defective and eventually go bad... You will need to replace the stepper motors individually or replace the gauge cluster completely.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM
RedDominion

My instrument cluster is bad too. My dad tried to jump my car when it had a dead battery and that's when this all started happening. Only the speedometer works. I took it to the dealer and after charging $165 for diagnostics they said I need to replace the cluster but I didn't mention the clicking noise related to the A/C switch. Are you saying that if I replace the cluster this clicking noise might go away? The A/C is fully operational.

Well, I may just go ahead and get the MyColor cluster.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

They are not related except that they are not operating properly.
Its probably something blocking the blend door. Has anything
made its way into the defroster vents or the dash vents (kids
do the darndest things)?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:26 PM
RedDominion

I ordered a door mode actuator for the panel/door operation and should have the part in tomorrow. I'll swap it out and see if thats a quick fix.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=336&viewfile=Mode Door Actuator - Panel,Floor Door.pdf
Old 12-04-2011, 08:33 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
They are not related except that they are not operating properly.
Its probably something blocking the blend door. Has anything
made its way into the defroster vents or the dash vents (kids
do the darndest things)?

The noise he's hearing is the blend doors. I had the same issue and so does a couple of volvos thanks to ford. lol My easy fix was to lube it up with a special oil that Volvo recommends and it worked fine. Noise is gone. :P
Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 AM
RedDominion

The door actuator was the problem. When I disconnected the wire to it, noise went away. I installed a new one and no longer have the clicking noise. The actuator was behind the instrument cluster on the right side and was very difficult to remove as the top screw was blocked by the a/c tube going to the left vent.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Jarmstrong81

Default Mode door actuator

How did you replace the actuator? Everything I've seen says to take the whole dash out.

Originally Posted by RedDominion
The door actuator was the problem. When I disconnected the wire to it, noise went away. I installed a new one and no longer have the clicking noise. The actuator was behind the instrument cluster on the right side and was very difficult to remove as the top screw was blocked by the a/c tube going to the left vent.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 AM
mrgm

Originally Posted by Jarmstrong81
How did you replace the actuator? Everything I've seen says to take the whole dash out.
i too would like to know this. I am glad i found this thread.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:58 AM
one.wicked.stang
2nd Gear Member

would like to know also... THX

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clicking noise A/C switch behind cluster