Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

car dies after tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:48 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Mine still has issues. WOT lean even with upping the value on the SCT to as high as it would go, and dipping idle when moving forward at low speed, say at stop-lights.

Afraid Bama and such can't account for everything that might be off slightly from quirks from their baseline vehicles to yours.

I've just resigned myself to the fact I'm probably stuck with running a lower octane tune until I can bring it into an actual tuning shop. Frankly I think my pump itself is weak.

And I've done everything possible aside from replacing the pump. Fuel filter, yanked the CAI multiple times to find any leak, TB cleaning, MAF cleaning, even replaced the MAF itself. Drove me nuts too.
Half of the time when I come to a stop, my idle dips really low, then jumps back up... i've got the same problem too. I cleaned my tb and it didnt do anything. let me know if you figure out your situation
Old 12-11-2011, 04:38 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
Half of the time when I come to a stop, my idle dips really low, then jumps back up... i've got the same problem too. I cleaned my tb and it didnt do anything. let me know if you figure out your situation
Mine will dip to around 580 for a second or two, then jump to 850 or so for less than a second, then settle right back to 740-80, no problem, just acting like it's being robbed slightly of fuel or getting an unexpected gust of air. Never had a tune actually stall the car though. And no codes.

Fluctuation is normal for a few hours into a new tune flash, but mine is many months into it. Only occurs when in stop and go traffic or at a light, moving forward a few mph, then pushing in the clutch to roll forward a few more feet out of gear. This along with going as high as allowed over the original tune value for WOT in the tune options(and still going lean) does suggest something with fuel delivery to me. Using the canned JLT tune and cranking the WOT adjust option lessens the pinging on WOT(lean), as does doing the same with the BAMA tune, but it's still there. And only at WOT around 4k RPMs and higher.

But hell if i know ultimately, i'm a computer/electronics geek, this mechanical **** just annoys me.

Will post solution should I find one, I suppose to could try a boost-a-pump for a cheaper test to see if this is the case, but I'm done throwing money or time at it for some while. Eventually I'd like to go FI anyhow, assuming I can get these kinds of quirks worked out, so I'll likely find out when I'm ready to spend the bucks for this:

Last edited by wayne613; 12-11-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:16 PM
dragon6813

i got my problem to stop ended up being the air filter didnt come gharged with oil did that ran it for a bit then drowned the maf with a can of cleaner havent had any issues for about a week now
Old 12-13-2011, 05:24 PM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dragon6813
i got my problem to stop ended up being the air filter didnt come gharged with oil did that ran it for a bit then drowned the maf with a can of cleaner havent had any issues for about a week now
Thanks for this response. A few months ago I ordered a spared filter from C & L. I placed the spare on the car to clean and charge the original one. I guess the spare did not come charged from C & L because I placed the clean/charged on on the car today and it ran ten times smoother with no issues. I hope this resolved it!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

So if I apply air filter oil to my filter (I don't believe it has been oiled), maybe it will help this issue?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:27 AM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
So if I apply air filter oil to my filter (I don't believe it has been oiled), maybe it will help this issue?
If it has not been oiled, absolutely. I just went to autozone and bought a K&N filter cleaner/recharger kit. If it is still clean, just spray the oil on at the end of your day and let the filter sit overnight. I think you would be good to go (if your issue is only that). Good luck
Old 12-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
It almost sounds like a dirty TB. These S197's are VERY touchy when the TB gets the slightest amount of varnish/dirt buildup. It's pretty simple to unbolt, clean and reinstall using the same gasket. But be sure to get a cleaner that won't remove the finish off the TB.
Beat me to it. Use the CRC cleaner
Old 12-19-2011, 10:50 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
Beat me to it. Use the CRC cleaner
Just random Q related to CAI's - I have mine coming in this week from AM - do they generally ship new CAI's (anyone in general) uncharged? (IE: I need to make an autozone trip as well before installing this new JLT cai?)
Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Nope they come oiled and ready to go, or at least my JLT did
Old 12-19-2011, 10:57 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
Just random Q related to CAI's - I have mine coming in this week from AM - do they generally ship new CAI's (anyone in general) uncharged? (IE: I need to make an autozone trip as well before installing this new JLT cai?)
Mine didn't seem to be cleaned/oiled out of the packaging. I got the Steeda CAI and it seemed like the filter was dry as a bone so I got some of the rattle can K&N filter oil from auto zone and sprayed it. They very well might have been oiled out of the box, but it doesn't hurt to do the process yourself before throwing it on the car... Worst comes to worst, you have an extra clean filter lol.

Quick Reply: car dies after tune