MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.0L V6 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions-66/)
-   -   Good Idea? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions/658923-good-idea.html)

Ares05 12-06-2011 01:45 AM

Good Idea?

This might seem like a really stupid question, but I like you really care about my car. I usually use the manual wash when washing my car but it is expensive and often enough I don't get everything clean :(. I cannot wash it at home because we use well water and as I understand it has a lot of minerals and salt that could damage the paint. My question is can I use the automatic wash for my car? The reason I was concerned Is if the pressure from the washer could strip decals or the stripes I have on my car.

please only leave constructive comments, sorry again for the stupid question!

Warpig12354 12-06-2011 07:10 AM

I think a touch free car wash should be fine, don't know though...

Dean Martin 12-06-2011 09:18 AM

Everyone's well water is different, but I've washed the car with mine for over 6 years and can't see an issue.

You could also buy a screw on in-line filter for your home water that goes on a standard hose....I have one I use for filling the hot tub, and they are goood for like 2000 gallons of water.

MustangFirstCar 12-06-2011 01:46 PM

Don't wash your car with that well water man. You are absolutely right about it destroying your paint. If you have no other choice, the local touchless coin-op is the best you can get. I have taken my car through them many times when my car got muddy and it was still raining so I didn't want to wash it by hand, and my stripes are fine. Same with the paint. It doesn't get as clean. but if it's the best you can get, go for it.

kevinmalec 12-06-2011 02:11 PM

In the past, I tried a touchless car wash and all it did was wash the dirt around! I had my microfiber towel to dry my car off afterwards and the towel got dark brown from all of the dirt that the car wash did NOT get off. Waste of money!

IndecisiveS197 12-06-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by kevinmalec (Post 7769198)
In the past, I tried a touchless car wash and all it did was wash the dirt around! I had my microfiber towel to dry my car off afterwards and the towel got dark brown from all of the dirt that the car wash did NOT get off. Waste of money!

+1 same here. But if it's the best you can do, then you may have to go through more than once.

Go through the basic car wash twice :D

I found that the touchless is good for getting off debris and getting lost off, but that last bit that covers the car it doesn't seem to wash off at all, at least the first time around.

03gt04mach1 12-06-2011 06:30 PM

I agree, Touch-less is Worth-less. Unless like one coment said, if your just trying to get the mud of while it's raining won't hurt. We use to go to one when they first got popular years ago. And touchless means just that, it doesn't touch the dirt or grime.

MustangFirstCar 12-06-2011 06:52 PM

NEVER wipe the car off after only a touchless carwash. You are smearing around dirt and grit that was not removed (which is why you are doing it in the first place) and you WILL swirl your car up to hell. The compromise? Find a local car wash with manual power sprayers and the such. Then get your soap and bucket and grit guards up there and get to washing. It's extra work but your car will look better and be cleaner.

Nuke 12-06-2011 08:01 PM

What MustangFirstCar said. But I'd look into a filter/softener for the well water at the house.

fatalsports 12-07-2011 11:02 AM

If you use a Touch free/Brush free wash, you'll be ok