Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

how much should a dual set up cost to install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

Default how much should a dual set up cost to install?

I have already got the GTA mufflers I want picked out and they are on their way. I want to purchase the FRPP true dual set up from a local dealer for $640. This was seriously surprising that they were the cheapest option. How much for a rough estimate, would it be to get this kit installed? If have all the parts and mufflers, just the labor? I want to know so if I go there I don't want to get ripped off.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:28 PM
FsuGoNoles63
2nd Gear Member

Go to a muffler and exhaust shop and have them do a custom setup for you. I ran straight pipes back from the cats to GT takeoff mufflers (bought the mufflers from a guy locally for 50 bucks) and the shop only charged me 220 bucks. So total cost was 270. Now I think if you went with an X or H pipe they will charge you a little bit more for fabricating the X or H. But 640 bucks is outrageous for simple exhaust work.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:45 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Ares05
I have already got the GTA mufflers I want picked out and they are on their way. I want to purchase the FRPP true dual set up from a local dealer for $640. This was seriously surprising that they were the cheapest option. How much for a rough estimate, would it be to get this kit installed? If have all the parts and mufflers, just the labor? I want to know so if I go there I don't want to get ripped off.
If you already have the mufflers, why buy the FRPP kit and get another set of mufflers and passenger side over axle pipe? You already have those pieces, the passenger side over axle pipe is the same on the GT and V6.

Just buy either an X or H, cut and splice it in place of the Y, get the driver side over axle pipe (about $40 over at Rockauto.com http://info.rockauto.com/Walker/Deta...91511-5071.jpg -- http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php)

and the muffler hangers (something like $30 at pypes), cut the opening in the bumper for the driver side tip yourself (get the template from pypes or several other places, and you can cut it with a box cutter).

If you buy the kit you are paying for a lot of things you don't need and spending a lot more than you have to.

Last edited by JimC; 12-11-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

The only reason I would be buying the kit is because my dad technically owns part of the car and he is insistent on only Ford parts which is ridiculous because it is very pricey.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Then let your dad pay since it's his insistance.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

we shall see, I am trying to convince him to go the custom route and just let me pay for it. Hes worried by some magical phenomenon the "shop" parts are going to destroy the car.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:43 PM
JimC

Simple - go to the Ford dealer and tell the parts department you need the over axle pipe for the driver side for the GT. Now you have that Ford part and it will only be about $60; also tell them you need two muffler hangers for the S197, it will be a little more than what you can get the same part from Pypes for but it will be "Ford issued".

Then ask if they can order the FRPP X pipe. If they can't then find out what nearby dealer can. If they can't help you with that, then go to American Muscle where you can buy the FRPP X pipe
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-xpipe-0510gt.html

(you can get the muffler hangers, 2, that you need as well but I don't know if these are "Ford issued" http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...s-hangers.html

Saves you a ton over ordering the full kit with all the parts you don't need. And you satisfy your father by using "Ford" parts.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

JIMC! that's a great idea! can I give you a medal or something? is there anything else I would need?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

Also if i wanted an H-pipe what would be a good option? IF I can convince him I heard the JBA H-pipe is good
Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 AM
JimC

You could get the stock GT H pipe, you would have to cut it to splice it in because it doesn't bolt right up. Check Rockauto.com to see if they have one and that will give you the part number to check with your parts department. You don't need it with the cats so you want whatever bolts up after the cats.

Quick Reply: how much should a dual set up cost to install?