Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Just got seafoam, is this correct?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:43 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
STP has a product out now that blows the sea foam away.
OK, I give.... What's it called and what have you heard about it? I'm always up for something new.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
I tend to regard anything that claims it can do anything in the realm of "wonders" by anything that's truly simple as snake oil sales..
I completely understand your skepticism and was pretty dubious about it the first time I used it. However, my first use of it was in my 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic motorcycle. Known to carbon up considerably when running properly, it was recommended to "Seafoam" it every 3000 miles or so.

I had procured the bike used at 11K miles.... so figured, well, why not. Poured in 4 oz of Seafoam, filled the tank.... it was quite literally a very firm kick in the seat of the pants. Alarming even.

Ask any Harley owners you know about it too. It's huge stuff in the motorcycle camp.

LOL... a buddy of mine loved it so much... he Seafoamed every internal combustion powered device he owns. Lawnmower... snowblower... power washer....
Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

I have to say I was rather skeptical at first, I held on to a 16 oz bottle of Seafoam I bought on sale for $5.00 for almost 3 months because I wasn't sure if I wanted to use it.

I finally decided, why not? I poured the whole 16 oz bottle into the tank (using a funnel), and filled it to the top. After 100 miles, something amazing happened, my idle problem was gone!!!

The idle problem I had was a slight hick-up at idle with the AC on. It's a common issue on the S197, usually fixed by cleaning the throttle body. I even bought the brake cleaner preparing for cleaning the t-body in a week or so. But after just 100 miles of Seafoam in my tank, the idle issue is gone.

Which suprised me, because I didn't think a Seafoam in my fuel tank would have any effect on the TB.

Also, even though I have been driving my car more aggressive than normal to help the Seafoam along, my fuel economy has actually gone up. I'm averaging already 1 mpg more than normal, which should go up with more with my rather sedate daily driving.

I'll report again after another full tank and see if anything changes or my mileage improves further.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:10 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I just saw this advertised yesterday. Interesting, can you elaborate?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Can't say mine is as well documented.. But this did cure most of the idle dipping issues I was getting. This is also normally attributed to the TB getting dirty, or a vacuum leak, TB of which I've cleaned multiple times, and even got a catch can to delay the onset of being needed.

Used to roll 5-10mph, push in clutch and depending on the roll it'd drip to 400rpms, then jump to 1300, then settle after a couple more. Gone now after 3/4 of a tank. I think it actually kicked in after using just a quarter tank, I just didn't notice. As it wasn't that big a deal, just annoying, as it never stalled.

*Might* be a bit more responsive, but if so it's just slight. And as for MPG, perhaps that might go up a bit as well, but I doubt it's more than 1mpg or so.

No miracle thing, but certainly more than worth the $5 price-tag, so long as there's no long-term downside, like eating through my seals or the like.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I just got through burning a tank with the Seafoam. I have a rough idle problem right at start up, but I thought it is because my starter is starting to sound weaker and thus having a problem. 1/4 way thru the tank and the problem cleared up... amazing! But it was too good to be true, my start up idle problem came back before I finished the tank with Seafoam. I will have to see if the starter is covered under the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty (I have 59,780 miles on it!).
Old 04-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

I can't fathom how a starter issue would effect idle RPM. Once the car starts and the starter is dis-engaged, it's really out of the equation. Don't see anything like a custom camshaft in your list of mods... so could be entirely un-related.

Though I do wonder... where you manage to procure ethanol free gasoline.... Hmmm.... I may look into what they pump at the local boatyards....
Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boneman
I can't fathom how a starter issue would effect idle RPM. Once the car starts and the starter is dis-engaged, it's really out of the equation. Don't see anything like a custom camshaft in your list of mods... so could be entirely un-related.

Though I do wonder... where you manage to procure ethanol free gasoline.... Hmmm.... I may look into what they pump at the local boatyards....
Well, the starter lately has sounded weaker, but still turns the engine over easily. Once the engine fires, it runs rough for approximately 3-5 seconds. Then it idles fine. I originally thought that maybe it was a fuel issue and decided to try the Seafoam. To my delight, the problem went away for a few days. Before the tank with the Seafoam was finished, it has gone back to the same problem. I do have Detroit Rockers cams, but I haven't had an issue with them since they were installed, and as I said it only happens at startup for 3-5 seconds. Maybe the starter isn't releasing immediately and is dragging the RPMs low enough to cause this issue. I am taking it in for an oil change and will have the techs check it out (warranty period is almost up - not sure if the starter is covered under the 5/60).

There are several gas stations in Greenville, SC that carry ethanol-free gas. I have noticed better fuel economy using it, although I'm not sure that it offsets the 10 cent price difference.

BTW, I am showing a 1 MPG increase in city driving since the Seafoam tank.

Last edited by jdmcbride; 04-27-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Sweet! I too just tried the Foam in my 29,000 mile V6 Pony. It really does have better
pickup, I'll check the gas mileage next fill up. Alan in sunny Seadrift,Tx.